Thread: Got bad character record in application of Working Holiday visa

Default Got bad character record in application of Working Holiday visa

My boyfriend and I applied the Working Holiday visa this month. He left his passport in office the night we applied so he provided passport details based on his memory. However he remembered the expiry date wrong then the Immigration figured out. The case officer asked him to explain before making decision. He replied to explain and requested to withdraw the application (we knew it is a serious mistake and likely to result in bad character record so hoped the withdrawal could help). However his application still got declined and he got bad character record. So i wanna seek advise here: 1. Is there any method he can fix the bad character issue; 2. Will it be a problem to enter NZ again in the future? It's a big concern to us because he has some relatives and many friends there (he studied and worked in NZ for 6 yrs before). 3. Will this record affect visa application in other country? We plan to apply the Australia WH visa instead... thanks!

He is going to have to explain the situation whenever he applies for a visa in future, other countries as well. As far as INZ are concerned, that will mean having to apologize again as well, and ask for a character waiver each time. An application is a legal document, and submitting it is like signing to say that everything in it is the truth, so INZ are entitled to consider the mistake as equivalent to attempted fraud.

so does the record last forever? any chance to clean it?

The actual fact of having made a false declaration does not go away, but with passing time and good character references gained since, it is more and more likely to be overlooked. See the paragraphs about character waivers here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsm....htm?35052.htm

Hi JandM! First time to reply here. I am experiencing the similar problem as I have provided false or misleading info in the WHV application. The whv was rejected in 2013 and then I applied for the student visa which was approved in 2015. In 2016 when I applied for open work visa after study, INZ raised character concern about the case above. After the explanation they finally gave me character waiver. In 2017 I submitted EOI and applied for work visa holding Ita, the officer asked for character issue again and then granted character waiver after my explanation. Now it’s the third time as the resident visa assessment raised character issue again in 2018.
    The ppi letter looks similar to those before but this time is under resident class. Is that this time would be more strict or not? In the previous explanation I submitted reference letters and fully apologized for my mistakes and won’t do that again. Indeed in these year I follow all sorts of rules and laws in NZ. In this time I will supply more references in recent days.

I fully understand I should ask LIA for help in details and actually I have LIA now. I just share my experience here and would like to hear comments from JandM and other senior members. Thanks a lot

As I said before, it is bound to be raised (again) because it happened, and because you did the right thing by declaring it. It won't carry more weight simply because this time you are applying for residence, no. As longer and longer time passes since the original action, and as long as you can show continued good behaviour by your character references, it will be considered less of a problem. It's the scenario many people have: they were young and got misled into doing a stupid thing, then they turned over a new leaf, developed a more mature attitude, and started to take on an adult role in the world.

Thanks JandM! I am going to explain the full surrounding with apology again plus recent references as well as explanation and evidences on ties and contributions to NZ. Hopefully INZ can accept my changes in these years again