Thread: Pro Maori Schools and Area Advice Please

Default Pro Maori Schools and Area Advice Please

Hi there,

I have followed many of threads recommending areas to live, they have been incredibly useful, thank you!!! I have also found one or two who are asking a similar question to me...

The advice I need is around finding primary and intermediate schools with a genuine positive interest and connection to Maori culture. Some schools' websites don't make any reference to Te Reo and Maori cultural learning/dancing/singing etc some don't even have 'Kia Ora' on the front page! So I am looking for schools in a family friendly area, that is commutable to CBD but that is also able to balance the cultural diversity and heritage of Aoteoroa/NZ.

I think I am taken with the North Shore (as it is blummin' gorgeous, just about affordable and has a manageable commute??!!) but many of the schools seem to be exclusively English in approach and culture. Do you know different? Does your children's school have a fabulous Kapa Haka? Do they learn Te Reo? Are there children from all sorts of backgrounds in school? Are there other areas/schools I should consider? eg what is the vibe out towards Glendowie (it looks pretty white English but I might be wrong???!!!)?

We are moving out in September and whilst I am OK with taking some time for the kids to look round some schools to work out the best places for them, I think we are really going to want to settle down.

Any advice gratefully received!!!

We stayed briefly (1 week) in the North Shore and had a positive impression. The beachside playground in Takapuna is a real highlight, and you'll also find most shopping/dining options concentrated right nearby.

Our kids didn't attend school until we got to Nelson, but it seemed like all the schools I've checked here and in Taranaki have some form of kapa haka, or at least labeling some things in te reo, and the ministry that does quality checks on schools always seems to include in their report how well the school supports Maori as Maori, instead of only integrating them into the English school traditions.
    http://www.ero.govt.nz/

Here in Nelson, there also appears to be an immersion kindergarten program to help kids learn te reo.

However, it might be quite different in Auckland, hopefully you will get some reports from people who've actually experienced education there :-)

Here's a fun video of that playground :-)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctvB6zxPTGM

Look at West Auckland. Our grand daughter goes to Tirimoana primary. 45 % Caucasian, the rest Maori, Islander, Indian, Chinese, Korean etc. They sing the National Anthem in Te Reo and act out Maori folklore. Principal has been there 20 + years. Good mix of female and male teachers. Everyone gets on well.

My kids learn te reo and tikanga Māori at school and participate in Kapa Haka, but I'm in Tasman, so that's a bit far from the North Shore.

You can search for Kura Kaupapa schools. They are te reo and tikanga Māori immersion schools.
    Another type of school you might look for is called Māori medium schools. They are schools where curriculum is taught in te reo 51% of the time (it might be not all children in the school participate).
    Some schools have what's called Whānau Class. This is another strategy for inclusive education.
    Otherwise, call each school to ask what their levels of te reo and tikanga Māori are in their curriculum. My children's school offers classes for parents, structures the year around Māori concepts, and teaches te Ao Māori principles. To me, this shows a real commitment to incorporating Māori worldview into the school even though we aren't immersion or have Whānau class. Our school has steadily improved this over the years so it's worth asking what their plans are for the future. Our school doesn't have Kia Ora or list te reo or kapa haka on the website, so your best bet is to call and ask.

Hope that helps you in your search!

Wowsers! What fab replies? I am so grateful to those who have replied, you have given me some valuable information to be going on with. I'd heard elsewhere too that west Auckland was maybe more integrated. And perhaps most importantly, I may be prejudging schools, so I am grateful to be alerted to this. It is so incredibly hard to narrow this stuff down but there is no quick fix! Any more advice offered will be very welcome!!!!

And I loved the clip!! What an awesome Dad!!!!! (cool park too!)
    Last edited by TeuluSJ; 28th April 2018 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TeuluSJ View Post
    And I loved the clip!! What an awesome Dad!!!!! (cool park too!)
    Definitely look up the rest of the "How to Dad" videos :-) So awesome

Around Mt Roskill, Mt Albert, and out west you'll find. Definitely in the southern suburbs (Manukau, Otahuhu, Papatoetoe etc) too.