Thread: Passport change while waiting for RV

Default Passport change while waiting for RV

Hi guys,

I've applied for my residency last month and currently waiting for a CO to be assigned.

My current passport expires in Nov 2020 (so still good 2 years) but I have also applied for a new 10-year passport last month (which should be ready around July).By a new law back in my home country, both passports will be still valid.
    My residency hopefully should be approved around August-October (I hope so - it's pretty straightforward). If I get the new passport before my residency is granted, will it be possible to put the sticker into the new passport even though I'd had an old passport (still valid) on my application?

It seems possible but I am not quite sure - will I just have to speak to my case officer if this is the case? Or dy I update my application somehow once I've received the new passport?

I'd really love to avoid paying visa transfer fee if possible haha

When you receive AIP letter in the future, just send in yr old and new passports. Make a note explaining the situation.

Not sure, but getting a new passport while an application is lodged seems like the kind of thing that would be worth telling your CO about. This should also have the side effect of making it easier to get the stamp in there once you're approved.

All you will need to do is tell INZ that you have a new passport with (whatever) number, and they will put the visa into it. You can notify them while your case is still being processed, but it won't make any difference until the time comes for putting the label in. As yanyan881 says, show them both, then they'll know it's still you, who applied quoting the other number. (That sounds odd, to have two passports "live" at the same time. As you're saying it's due to a new regulation in your home country, I think I would see if I could find a website or leaflet explaining the situation, and send that along, too, in case whoever at INZ deals with the case has not heard about it.)

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    All you will need to do is tell INZ that you have a new passport with (whatever) number, and they will put the visa into it. You can notify them while your case is still being processed, but it won't make any difference until the time comes for putting the label in. As yanyan881 says, show them both, then they'll know it's still you, who applied quoting the other number. (That sounds odd, to have two passports "live" at the same time. As you're saying it's due to a new regulation in your home country, I think I would see if I could find a website or leaflet explaining the situation, and send that along, too, in case whoever at INZ deals with the case has not heard about it.)
    Thanks JandM, no way that my country would have a brochure or any info in english but I guess I'll just have to speak to my CO once the time comes

Thank you