Thread: Do I really need an English test for a Resident Visa if I'm already working in NZ?

Question Do I really need an English test for a Resident Visa if I'm already working in NZ?

Hi, I'm in NZ now on an Essential Skills Work visa, valid for 5 years (My family and I have been here for about 8 months). We didn't have to do an IELTS test to get this visa. Now we want to send in an Expression of Interest for a Skilled Migrant visa to start our path to residency.

Do I really have to take an IELTS test now, even if I'm already here, doing skilled work in a local company?

The only ways NOT to have to provide proof of English ability in the form of the result of a recognized test are citizenship of, and at least five years' education in, certain English-speaking countries, OR degree-level or higher qualifications gained in those countries after specified lengths of time spent there studying. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsm...c.htm?6954.htm

(INZ revised the rules on this two or three years ago, and using the fact that you were working in an English-speaking environment to prove your English skills "went" at that time.)

Thanks a lot for the info! Then I guess we'll make an appointment for a test...