Thread: Is it possible to contact MA?

Default Is it possible to contact MA?

Hi All,

Thanks for the help so far. I have just finished uni last year and applied for the Work Visa - Open approximately 2 months ago.

Everything was going well, excepted that my HbA1c is around twice the normal range (and this is all news to me), so they have me do a protein in urine test.
    Turns out I have microalbumia and most-likely diabetes, so the case was referred to an MA.

That was before the end of March and I am still waiting for the initial response from the MA (they haven't told me to do any other tests yet).

I have no problem waiting for my visa at all, except for the fact that my graduation ceremony is coming up on the 7th of May...
    I have contacted my CO at the end of March, and she said that the situation is well noted, but I have to wait patiently for the response from the MA.

As you probably realized, I am running out of time as graduation is only around the corner.

My questions are:

1) Is it possible to contact the MA and let he/she know of the current situation?

2) Is it possible for my CO to grant me a visitor visa instead just for my graduation if it comes down to that?

3) How likely is it that my visa will be granted in time (within a week). All hope seems lost to me since it seems very likely I have to do more testing before being granted a visa.

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Surely you're going to be issued with an Interim visa, aren't you? You have applied for a temporary visa while still covered by a valid visa. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...a/interim-visa

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Surely you're going to be issued with an Interim visa, aren't you? You have applied for a temporary visa while still covered by a valid visa. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...a/interim-visa
    I actually did. But it got complicated because my student visa ended in March, and I have to go back home to Thailand for a military conscription early April, and since I have left NZ my interim visa has already lapsed...

Following up on this a little...

The information I got from Immigration was that they are only able to 'fast-track' (with a very good reason, I might add) application pending Medical Approval only if you give them more than 7 days notice, but not until it was less than 14 days until your deadline.
    i.e. if you absolutely need to get back here by 27th of June then you would need to let them know well before the 20th of June, but don't bother them before 13th of June (although you should definitely make sure they are 'aware' of the situation).

Thought I'd drop by and let people know, just in case they were also in a desperate situation.
    As far as I know, not everyone in immigration is aware of this information. (and to be fair, it is very unusual someone would need this in the first place).

Both of my CO didn't do anything (and I suspect they didn't know how) to help me in my case, even though they knew months in advance that I need to come back for graduation and the award ceremony.
    I respected their response for me to wait patiently and by the time I realized I could have done something about it, I was no longer able to.

P.S. Just in case, having a non-refundable flight booked is probably not a good enough excuse.
    Last edited by Gunkub; 27th June 2018 at 02:54 AM.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out, especially since you've now found that it apparently could have done.

What will happen next for you?

@JandM

Actually forgot to mention I have gotten my visa about 2 days after my graduation / awards date.

I was quite frustrated to be honest, to the point of not wanting to come back here anymore, but I got over it after a few days of traveling (sea, sand, sun has the best mental healing power imo).

So now I'm back in New Zealand with my work visa, working in the cold weather down here in Christchurch

I have just lodged my EOI and it was accepted from the pool today, so finger crossed that it'll go smoother than my work visa

So frustrating, that the visa arrived JUST too late...

Anyway, pleased to hear that things seem to be going well now. At least you know your medical has been passed already for this next application.

I would certainly hope that is the case!

Not sure if it would be as I was granted an open work visa (iirc, the health standards are different as it's classified as a temporary entry class visa?).

Ah, well, I hope so too, for you, and I guess you'll find out when it comes to the next round... Good luck!