Thread: What visa should i apply for? while i am in process for SMC visa

Default What visa should i apply for? while i am in process for SMC visa

Hi

I am currently in a valid Essential work visa under title of Mechanical Drafter (Immediate skilled shortage list) while I am in process with SMC residence visa since 5/2/2018, but I have been offered another job with another employer in another city as a Design Engineer (Long term Skilled shortage list), my CO already aware with such change since there is a valid reason for this change.

so my question here should I apply for essential work visa or Work to residence visa, notice that when I started the online application for work to residence visa I found no option to mention that I am in process for SMC residence visa, but in essential work visa such option exist.

Thanks

You could apply for either of those temporary work visas (assuming that the new employer is accredited). As long as you stay covered by a valid visa in a skilled job, INZ can continue to process your application for residence under SMC. And having the SMC application being processed has no impact on whether or not the temporary work visa will be granted.

Thanks JandM,

Actually the employer is not accredited but the job is in Long term Skilled shortage list, so is there is difference between Essential work visa or Work to residence visa from processing time and complex point of view? I am asking since my last Essential work visa just takes one week to get approval so I am afraid that I will apply for a different visa now which might lead to longer process time.

Looking at the INZ factsheets, both the Criteria and Process tabs on each, there seems to be little difference - although from what other people have said, INZ's claim of 20 days for processing is unrealistic for many. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-visa#criteria https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-visa#criteria