Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Auckland to Queenstown:: ( and Wellington to Picton ferry with car)

Thank you JandM...
    Excellent information ,and all covered

I'm hoping to do this : ChChurch => Tranzalpine by Highway => FJGlacier => Wanaka => Arrowtown & Queenstown => Milford Sound => Drive to Mt Cook = > Drive to Christchurch via Lake Tekupo & Mt Hutt

OR

ChChurch => Lake Tekupo & Mt Cook => Wanaka => Arrowtown & Queenstown => Milford Sound => Drive to Christchurch

Still trying to finalise the number of days available for me to travel, sooo excited to do this planning

I just would like to know what are the locations / things to see / enjoy in and around Queesntown.

Have anyone visited Fiordland national park? I was curious about it as it appeared in Lord of the Rings

Quote Originally Posted by diallta View Post
    Off topic, but, that's a great website! Last year I took some time and did the UK end-to-end, I hope to do the same in NZ and they've got some really well organized information there!
    Glad it is (incidentally) useful!

Now you've got me curious to know what route you followed across (up and down!) the UK. Is there a website you could link to?

The official Queenstown website actually has a pretty comprehensive list of things to do:
    https://www.queenstownnz.co.nz/things-to-do/

Also, since the original post inquired about the ferry, and I just rode the ferry again today, I can offer the opinion that the Interislander one is more pleasant and well-equipped than Bluebridge. I was able to eat and not feel too sick, because the Interislander boats are bigger and not as affected by the waves, there were better food options and better seating as well.

Here's some stuff about LOTR locations, specifically in Queenstown area as well as further afield.
    https://www.backpackerguide.nz/lord-...in-queenstown/

I had fun in Nelson trying on the One Ring at the goldsmith's shop downtown :-)
    https://www.jenshansen.co.nz/

What? Where are you? Who said that?!

Cool that is great,
    thank u for mentioning about the ferry.
    Did you take a car by the ferry?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Glad it is (incidentally) useful!

Now you've got me curious to know what route you followed across (up and down!) the UK. Is there a website you could link to?
    I didn't do a great job of documenting the trip, but I did it with a friend from the US who did do a pretty good job. You can have a look here. The detailed segments are on each page. The trip can certainly be done in a much shorter distance and much more quickly, but we stuck to much of the National Cycle Route, much of which isn't on smooth pavement and covered almost 1100 miles.

When I get around to the NZ end-to-end, I think I'll have Susan with the car to get us setup and camp each night, and I'll do it on the road bike.

Thank you. I like his style! (I was amused at his noticing the west-country lanes with hedges on banks. My other half was once showing some visiting Americans the area where our ancestors come from, where most of the roads are this kind, and one of them said, 'Last time I was in a place this narrow, it was someone's driveway - and it was wider than this.' )

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    The official Queenstown website actually has a pretty comprehensive list of things to do:
    https://www.queenstownnz.co.nz/things-to-do/

Also, since the original post inquired about the ferry, and I just rode the ferry again today, I can offer the opinion that the Interislander one is more pleasant and well-equipped than Bluebridge. I was able to eat and not feel too sick, because the Interislander boats are bigger and not as affected by the waves, there were better food options and better seating as well.
    Interesting..., and very much dependent on which boat you're on, I guess. Lots of people find the Bluebridge boats more stable. I quite enjoy the Bluebridge ones, and have found the opposite regarding the food :-), especially when it comes to breakfast.
    Lots of personal preferences, I guess!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast