Thread: My job hunting log as a cafe manager

Default My job hunting log as a cafe manager

Hi everyone, thank you for reading this. I am sharing my recent experience looking for a job as a cafe manager here to record what I have been through and what I should do to complete my goal. It is just how I see what happened and it may be too objective. I will appreciate if you could let me know what you think. Furthermore, hopefully, my story could enlight someone in the same situation or help someone find a job.

Ok, first thing first, here's my background:

Education: Postgraduate's diploma in International Hospitality Management (AUT)
    Qualification: LCQ. GM Certificate.
    Work experience: 1-year shop assistant in a Sushi shop. 14 months as a restaurant manager (European style). 18 months as a cafe manager.
    Visa status: Resident.

I know someone may ask why I still wanna work in this industry after I got my residency. The answer is simple. I love working in a cafe because I genuinely like interacting with people and, of course, coffee. But I would like to learn more knowledge about the business so I am looking for a job with potential to grow, to get more involved.

Employer 1

A coffee shop of a chain cafe was looking for a cafe manager. Had an interview with HR and area operator. The interview went well but I got the feeling that I will not get the job. It is a 2-staff shop. I mean, there is only 2 staff working in the shop during the day, including the manager. Firstly, during the interview, I suggested more than once that they should be getting more staff, especially they have a strict time frame that coffee should be delivered. It is apparently not a welcome suggestion. Secondly, I am managing a team of 7. Obviously, I am over-qualified.

I asked the HR for a cup of coffee for free after the interview. I said you should get me a coffee because if I don't get the job, I still get a coffee, and it will make me feel at ease. I did get a free coffee, and I did not get the job. The HR emailed me a few days later that I will not go to the next step. I replied, don't worry, I still get a coffee.

Anyway, "Cheeky bastard." It is what the current manager said when I told her there should be more staff doing the job.

To conclude: Don't be picky.

Employer 2

A coffee roaster is looking for a cafe manager. Had an interview with owners, and then had a trial. During the trial, I wasn't acting like I am a very picky person, even though I saw some opportunities that they can do their job better. I just kept my mouth shut, being humble, do what I was told to do, follow the rule, play it safe. After the trial the manager asked me how I feel, I was totally being honest with her. I said the way I work as a manager is being the best staff in the FOH, working with my crew and leading as an example. And at this moment I am apparently not because I am new and I need more time to get used to the new system, but I am confident I can handle it in the future.

Wanna guess if I can get the job?

It was about a couple weeks later I received the email from the owner that the position had been filled. Quote:" The feedback I received from our current manager was that overall you were very positive and full of initiative, comfortable to take the till or jump on the coffee machine, a good all-rounder but maybe not quite enough experience as a manager yet. "

Not enough experience? What the FXXX!

I replied:"Respectfully, I cannot figure out why your manager thinks I don't have enough experience as a manager apart from the reason (admit that I need more time to get used to the system) I stated above because there wasn't any manager-level was done during the trail. From my perspective, the trial was designed to see if a person is suitable for an all-rounder staff with coffee making experience. Thank you again for your email. It was nice to have the interview with you and it was nice to have the trail. I enjoyed your coffee and everything."

To conclude: Don't expose weakness.

Ok, that was the experience I had recently. Again, please feel free to leave a comment to let me know what you think. I am open-minded to all voices. Cheers!

Thanks for sharing such detailed info about your job search, I hope other people will follow suit :-)

To be honest, when I read your post I get a bit annoyed with your attitude - you come across as a know-it-all. For your second application, after rejection rather than going back with a counter argument it would have been more productive to go back and say I'm sorry you feel that way because I truly enjoyed meeting you etc etc, would you be able to let me know why you thought so?

My guess is, in the first interview it was not appreciated you told them they were running their business wrong, and in the second interview/trial you were expected to give pointers to staff but instead didn't give any feedback at all.

Anyway hopefully you've had more luck since!
    Last edited by LemonAndPaeroa; 2nd July 2018 at 05:15 PM.

Thank you Juniper, hopefully, my experience is helpful to others.

As a long-time successful multiple restaurant owner, when reading the OP I was amazed at the attitude. We get a lot of candidates who "know it better than we do" and are "over-qualified" whose first impressions are full of ego and attitude. I would recommend some interview coaching and how you come across; based on how you described yourself in this post I'm sorry to say I would never hire you. I'm not trying to be mean-spirited here but rather help you in that you might want to take another look at your attitude and recompose yourself. This isn't a reflection of the job market but rather yourself I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Nether111 View Post
    To be honest, when I read your post I get a bit annoyed with your attitude - you come across as a know-it-all. For your second application, after rejection rather than going back with a counter argument it would have been more productive to go back and say I'm sorry you feel that way because I truly enjoyed meeting you etc etc, would you be able to let me know why you thought so?

My guess is, in the first interview it was not appreciated you told them they were running their business wrong, and in the second interview/trial you were expected to give pointers to staff but instead didn't give any feedback at all.

Anyway hopefully you've had more luck since!