Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Student Visa

Default Student Visa

Hello all

If someone is here in New Zealand, looking to convert work visa (partnership based) to phd student visa, can he attach a financial undertaking (from a relative back home) to the application?

Asking because I read this in the Student Visa Guide & Operations Manual, and really confused:

1. Student Visa Guide:

"Financial undertaking

If you are applying in New Zealand for a further student visa, a financial undertaking can only be provided by the same person or organisation that provided a financial undertaking for your initial student visa. If a financial undertaking wasn’t provided for your initial student visa, a financial undertaking can’t be started once you arrive in New Zealand."

2. Operations Manual

"U3.20.10 Financial Undertaking

Before the student’s arrival in New Zealand, a financial undertaking may be provided by a third party.

If the third party is a person, they must be a relative or a friend of the applicant.

If the third party is not a person, they must nominate an individual as an authorised contact.

The third party providing the financial undertaking must satisfy an immigration officer they:

are bona fide (i.e. are genuinely intending to meet their financial obligations as set out on the Financial Undertaking for a Student (INZ 1014) form); and
    genuinely hold sufficient funds for each student they are supporting.

Where a third party wishes to continue providing a financial undertaking for the student’s subsequent onshore student visa applications, they may do so if they continue to meet (d)"

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Did this person previously have a NZ student visa? Or is s/he wanting to add a NZ PhD after having qualifications from a foreign university?

No. He does not have a NZ student visa. He is here on partnership work visa.

His last qualification was from a foriegn university.

Looking at the whole page of the Operational Manual https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsm....htm?43653.htm, there are these paragraphs that seem to apply.
    A sponsor for a fee-paying foreign tertiary student who is applying from within New Zealand must have sponsored that student’s initial student visa.
    U3.20.5 b
    Before the student’s arrival in New Zealand, a financial undertaking may be provided by a third party.
    (my bolding) U3.20.10.
    It appears that the person you are talking about would NOT be able to use a financial undertaking from a relative. If the relative is willing and able to provide funding, I think they would need to place some money in the student's own name.

Thank you so much.Appreciate it like always :-)

Hi jandM ,

My friends (He is on ESV) wife in open work visa and she is trying for PhD admission, If she get admission who can be her sponsor ?

Who is there who might be willing to do this? Family or friends in NZ? Or overseas? Her husband?

If she get admission INZ need her to transfer open work visa to student visa or can stay in open work visa while studying, if need to transfer need to pay full fees and living expenses until receive student visa ?

https://www.seek.com.au/job/50882147...e-176b74995460

Quote Originally Posted by STV View Post
    If she get admission INZ need her to transfer open work visa to student visa or can stay in open work visa while studying, if need to transfer need to pay full fees and living expenses until receive student visa ?

https://www.seek.com.au/job/50882147...e-176b74995460
    When we moved to NZ (2017), hubby had an ESV and I had an open work visa. At that time I received an offer of place at the University of Auckland, but I would need to pay the full fees as an international student which were 3 times more expensive than domestic student fees, and then pay for the student visa. Because we didn't have that money I waited for our resident visa, and then I paid as domestic student.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast