Thread: Police Certificates

Default Police Certificates

Requirement of Police Certificates for SMC resident visa as per immigration NZ website is "Any other country where you’ve spent 12 months or more over the last 10 years, even if you didn’t spend the 12 months all in one visit.Police certificates must be less than six months old when you submit your application."

I lived in Italy during 2009 to 2010 in two spans. The total time spent in Italy was around 11.5 months (which is just short of 12 months). I have following questions:

1- Will Immigration NZ ask for the Police certificate from Italy??

2- If the answer is yes to question no.1 - I left Italy in 2010 and never went there again. I got my police certificates in 2015 when I was applying for canadian immigration. So, could I use the same police certificates which I got in 2015 or would I again have to get new police certificates as previous certificates are already more than 6 month old? logically they should accept the Police certificates which have been issued after the date of my last exit in Italy.

Please advise.

Regards,

As you spent less than 12 months in total in Italy, you will not need to provide a police certificate for that country.

The details that you will put in the EOI and application form might make it look as though you have spent 12 months in Italy (from memory you can only put details of months, not days, lived in each country). When it comes to lodging your application, it may be worthwhile to include a cover letter to outline the period of time you spent in Italy. There's a small chance that INZ will ask you to provide proof of the dates you entered and exited - do you have stamps in a passport to support your claim of only 11.5 months there?

Yes, I have the entry and exit stamps on my passports which can support my claim if 11.5 months in Italy.
    On the other hand I already have police certificates from Italy issued in 2015, which I hope they should accept (in case they ask for PCC from italy) as I have never been to Italy after 2010 and certificates issued in 2015 should be acceptable logically.

certificates issued in 2015 should be acceptable logically.
    That horse won't run - "logically". INZ officials have to work to the letter of the regulations, so IF it came down to their insisting that you must provide an Italian police check, they could only accept it if it was less than three months old.

Quote Originally Posted by ozman750 View Post
    Requirement of Police Certificates for SMC resident visa as per immigration NZ website is "Any other country where you’ve spent 12 months or more over the last 10 years, even if you didn’t spend the 12 months all in one visit.Police certificates must be less than six months old when you submit your application."

I lived in Italy during 2009 to 2010 in two spans. The total time spent in Italy was around 11.5 months (which is just short of 12 months). I have following questions:

1- Will Immigration NZ ask for the Police certificate from Italy??

2- If the answer is yes to question no.1 - I left Italy in 2010 and never went there again. I got my police certificates in 2015 when I was applying for canadian immigration. So, could I use the same police certificates which I got in 2015 or would I again have to get new police certificates as previous certificates are already more than 6 month old? logically they should accept the Police certificates which have been issued after the date of my last exit in Italy.

Please advise.

Regards,
    The rules are very clear and absolute.

If, since May 2008 you have lived in Italy for more than 12 months in total, then you will need to provide an Italian police certificate, which is no more than 6 months old. If its less than 12 months, you don't.

I've had clients who have spent 364 days in a country (such as on a Working Holiday visa in Australia)