Thread: To apply for citizenship, must be in NZ 240 days in each of past 5 years

Default To apply for citizenship, must be in NZ 240 days in each of past 5 years

I was just researching the residence -> permanent residence -> to citizenship flow, and I noticed that the number of days you need to be in NZ each year is different for permanent residency, as opposed to citizenship.

For permanent residency, you are supposed to be in NZ for 184 days for each of the 2 years right before you apply.

For citizenship, the requirement is 240 days for each of the past 5 years.

So, I thought this might be interesting for people who wanted to travel outside NZ for over 4 months in a year - it looks to me that this could be fine for the permanent residency path, but not for eventual citizenship. You could end up wasting some years that you thought would count towards the citizenship path.

https://www.govt.nz/browse/nz-passpo...e-requirements

(These are not the only possible paths, but for those trying for the number of days condition, I thought this would be of interest)

NZ citizenship doesn't come under INZ, so it makes sense (in a way) that there's no direct connection and the conditions are different.