Thread: qualification and work experience

Default qualification and work experience

Hi

I am a pharmacy technician and have 2 questions.

1. I have NZ level 5 pharmacy technician qualification but can I claim my level 7 (assessed by nzqa) overseas qualification (economics and finance major)??

2. Can I include my pharmacy technician work experience as a trainee technician in my work experience and claim together with my post-qualification work experience??

thanks!!

See SM8.5 b here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsm...c.htm?6954.htm You can use your non-relevant qualification to get you 50 points as long as it has been assessed as Level 7 by NZQA.

SM 7.10.1 b (same link) tells you that you have to have been qualified (having a qualification of some kind, or being qualified by the amount of experience set down as a substitute) before the skilled experience you are claiming points for. See further down that same page for definitions. So work experience as part of training, before you gained a qualification, cannot count.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    See SM8.5 b here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsm...c.htm?6954.htm You can use your non-relevant qualification to get you 50 points as long as it has been assessed as Level 7 by NZQA.

SM 7.10.1 b (same link) tells you that you have to have been qualified (having a qualification of some kind, or being qualified by the amount of experience set down as a substitute) before the skilled experience you are claiming points for. See further down that same page for definitions. So work experience as part of training, before you gained a qualification, cannot count.

------

thanks. but what about 'prior work experience'?
    my trainee job (job title: pharmacy technician-trainee) was paid job so I have IRD record. can it be claimed as a prior work experience by any chance??

SM7.10.15 ’Suitably qualified’ through prior work experience

An applicant may also be assessed as qualified through relevant prior work experience, in terms of SM6.10.20 (a) (ii) or SM6.10.20 (b).For the purposes of this provision, prior work experience is relevant to the employment for which an applicant is claiming points if:an immigration officer is satisfied that it was directly applicable to, or in a closely related field to, the employment for which work experience points are claimed; orthe experience was a key factor in the employer’s decision to employ the principal applicant in that position.

Note: ‘Prior work experience’ is work experience completed before the work experience for which points are claimed. Prior work experience does not have to be ‘skilled work experience’

No work experience can be counted if the applicant was not qualified BEFORE doing this job. Being paid or not does not make any difference.

If you were taken on as a trainee pharmacy technician with no qualifications, the time you spent doing work experience during training cannot count now as 'previous work experience', because you were not at the time a SKILLED worker.

Your post qualification work experience CAN be counted once there is enough of it to earn you the points.

If you had some qualification in pharmacy, even if at a lower level, or had done enough work unqualified beforehand so that it could substitute for paper qualification, in that case your work experience during training CAN be counted, because you already had some skill.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    No work experience can be counted if the applicant was not qualified BEFORE doing this job. Being paid or not does not make any difference.

If you were taken on as a trainee pharmacy technician with no qualifications, the time you spent doing work experience during training cannot count now as 'previous work experience', because you were not at the time a SKILLED worker.

Your post qualification work experience CAN be counted once there is enough of it to earn you the points.

If you had some qualification in pharmacy, even if at a lower level, or had done enough work unqualified beforehand so that it could substitute for paper qualification, in that case your work experience during training CAN be counted, because you already had some skill.

----------

ok

thanks for your help!!