Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name change

Default Name change

I have NZ resident visa and considering changing my name.

However, my home country does not recognize overseas name change, so my name in my passport will stay the same.

If I legally change my name here in NZ, will I have any problems with my PR application in the future?

Can I use both names (Current and new ones)? Or I can only use the new one in NZ?

(I will have two IDs - Passport with the old name and Driver's license with the new name)

Thanks

I don't remember anyone raising these questions on the forum before. Does anyone have any experience, please?

Well in all my utility bills and driver license I have my married last name. I got married to my husband back home and we don't adopt husband's last name. So in my home country passport I still have my birth name but here I always go with my married name. In all the forms when applying to stuff you have the option to add more names you're known by and as long and you show proof of the name change, etc you shouldn't have a problem.

Can a Resident visa holder change his/her name in New Zealand? Or he/she has to wait until have Permanent visa?

I think you need to put this question to the NZ government.

On this information page https://www.govt.nz/browse/passports...name/#overview, it says the following.
    You can apply to change your name if:

you're 18 or over, and
    you were born here or are an NZ citizen, or you're entitled to live here indefinitely (you're a permanent resident of NZ or Australia, or you're Australian)
    However, there are many NZ government departments which still have web pages or printed literature which assumes, like this appears to do, that 'entitled to live here indefinitely' MEANS having PR, although since the name changes by INZ in November 2010, a residence visa gives that entitlement.

At the bottom of that page, there is a Contact us link, so you could ask there.

Quote Originally Posted by HansNZ View Post
    Can a Resident visa holder change his/her name in New Zealand? Or he/she has to wait until have Permanent visa?
    Yes! A resident visa holder can change their name. I did. I changed both my first and last name.

Just before I was due to apply for PR, I changed my name following the process here: https://www.govt.nz/browse/passports...name/#overview

I then changed my name with my country of citizenship (US), and got a new passport.

When I applied for PR, I included all my name change documents. I completed the INZ1175 in my new name, adding my previous name to section A3, "other names you have been known by." I was issued PR in my new name.

Important to note, Births, Deaths and Marriages will only include your birth name and any names granted by formal name change on your name change certificate. They do NOT include names assumed via marriage. I had 2 married names since my birth name, including the one I used when I applied for my visa. Therefore, I had to include all my old marriage certificates to show the chain of names since the birth name listed on the name change certificate. So before you apply for PR, make sure you order any relevant marriage certificates. You will also need them to change your name with your doctor, bank, etc.

Thanks so much for this helpful information.

Thanks for the information.
    In the name change form https://www.govt.nz/dmsdocument/7290...nge-bdm120-pdf they say "Overseas Passport including a residence permit or resident visa issued by Immigration New Zealand".
    Quite confusing when they state "Permanent resident" in this website https://www.govt.nz/browse/passports...name/#overview.

The key part is where they state "you're entitled to live here indefinitely." You are entitled to live in NZ indefinitely on a resident visa. If you look on your sticker, it should say, "Visa expiry: Indefinite." That means you can live here as long as you like. What are finite are your travel conditions, which expire as listed on your sticker under "Expiry date travel."

Quite confusing when they state "Permanent resident" in this website https://www.govt.nz/browse/passports...name/#overview.
    As I said above, a lot of official websites which are NOT immigration don't realize about the name change - over eight years ago now - have changed nothing, and that it makes a big difference to how people understand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast