Thread: Advice on Building Partnership Evidence

Lightbulb Advice on Building Partnership Evidence

Good day!

My partner was recently granted a 9-month general visitor visa (we applied for a partnership-based work visa but did not meet living together requirements) and we’ll be living together in NZ.

May I kindly ask if anyone knows what evidence could we possibly collect of us living together while he is in NZ on a visitor visa? We will be living with my parents so all utility bills would be under their names.

Here are some ways we thought of but are still unsure of:
    • Would it be possible for him to create a joint bank account with me?

• Will he be able to get an IRD number? I checked the IRD website but it does not list how to get an IRD number for those on visitor visas.

• Could he get a postpaid phone plan? Since he would not be employed during this period?

Has anyone been in the same situation as us where the partner is on a visitor visa? Does anyone know of other ways we could get “official” letters sent to the same address?

All responses will be greatly appreciated!

See all these old threads with discussion and examples of evidence of partnership. https://www.google.co.uk/search?sour....0.TV_5vrk_Z_Q

How to get mail from public bodies - write to them with a query, then they will reply to that address. Order things you want to buy, get them delivered through the mail, and save the packaging.

I doubt he will be able to get an IRD number, since that is for people will be paying tax on their income, he won't be working while he's a visitor, and therefore he won't be having income to pay tax on. Try asking for more information in a Post Shop, though.

There have been several mentions on the threads recently that some banks were not allowing visitors to open an account. However, even if you each have a separate account, you can deliberately each buy things that are for the benefit of both of you and your shared living space, keep the receipts and details, and highlight these in your own financial records. Similarly, if you are going places together, sometimes one can pay and sometimes the other, so you generate more evidence that your finances are interlinked.

I would like to recommend you to save everything... for example: Renting a car? flight tickets? Party Invitations? hotel reservations? photos? mail?

Save all, because it will help you...

[QUOTE=NZdreaming;572848]
    Here are some ways we thought of but are still unsure of:
    • Would it be possible for him to create a joint bank account with me?

• Will he be able to get an IRD number? I checked the IRD website but it does not list how to get an IRD number for those on visitor visas.

• Could he get a postpaid phone plan? Since he would not be employed during this period?

QUOTE]

1 - Yes, you can... I did that in the ANZ bank
    2 - IRD with a visitor visa? Maybe http://www.ird.govt.nz/international...g/coming/temp/
    3 - You can go to any mobile company and ask... I know you can add him to your post-paid account, and you could be paying for both lines...

Hello NZDreaming,

Congratulations on having your partnership visitor approved!

I arrived in auckland april 2017, on a visitor's visa and have been to all the banks and they did not allow me to open a NZ bank account. Due to that,I was not able to get IRD during that time. However, I had my singapore bank, so I was using my debit/credit card from there, and I had also updated the my contact details in my Singapore bank account.

Your partner will be able to get a pre-paid, not sure about a postpaid plan. Unless, you can get a plan for your partner, and under his name?

Another additional evidence would be if your partner has a driver's license... If he does, I believe he would be able to convert that to a NZ drivers license, and NZTA will mail his drivers license to your address. Or he can apply for a 18+ Card, and get that as an additional mail to your place.

Thank you very much for your replies!

I asked my bank and apparently adding my partner to my account wouldn’t be too difficult.
    We’ve also come to realize that getting him an IRD number might be misunderstood as him wanting to work on a visitor visa rather than just strengthening our evidence that we live together so we’re skipping that till he gets a work visa.

Oh I will definitely look into just adding him on family-sharing for my postpaid monthly mobile plan.

Getting his driver licence converted and addressed to our home would also be very official. Thank you for that suggestion!

My partner and I recently handed in our application.
    One thing we did was save all the items she had sent to the house.
    Made a shared/linked flybuys along with other similar things rewards cards and kept the paperwork that was sent.

Also, I would ask her what she wanted ME to buy from the store on my way HOME from work (along with "I miss you" etc)
    For instance, she might say "onions, oranges and some bread".
    I would buy these and keep my receipt.
    When we did the application I printed off these conversations and attached my receipt, with the items she wanted highlighted.
    I believe that shows that I was coming home to her, plus showing the shared responsibilities/interdependence.
    Having the receipt attached provides physical evidence for the conversation that was printed out (rather than INZ thinking we just fabricated conversations)

When gathering your evidence, it helps to keep in mind the 'four-fold test' that the assessing Immigration Officer is going to be looking at your relationship against:

'Credibility': any statements made and evidence provided needs to be credible (ie. believable to someone who knows nothing about you)
    'Living together': the evidence needs to show that you live together at the same address
    'Genuine partnership': the reasons both partners are in the relationship are genuine (ie. there's no inkling that the relationship is "set up" just for the purpose of the visa application) and both partners intend to stay in the relationship long-term, without starting relationships with others
    'Stable partnership': evidence shows that the relationship is likely to endure (ie. not break up as soon as the visa is granted)