Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IT Jobs and Works Visas

Default IT Jobs and Works Visas

Hi all,

This forum has given me lots of really great information in different areas; thanks to everyone! However, as is always the case, the specifics of one's own query often don't QUITE get answered, so I'm going to lay it all out here and hope that someone can help or advise. :-)

Myself and my fiancee (will be my wife by the time comes) are looking to emigrate to New Zealand sometime next year (probably around September). She works in the the theatre world, and I'm in IT. In an ideal world, I suppose that the plan would be for me to get a job offer and be able to apply for a skilled migrant visa (as these skills are supposedly in short supply). However, the research and such I have done so far (and I've been in touch with a number of recruitment agencies) seems to suggest that unless the skills you possess are REALLY specific, most employers don't seem to like hiring...not non-Kiwi's, but people who aren't already in the country. So, it would seem that it's going to be hard to get a job offer before coming over. Obviously, when I start properly applying for jobs en masse next year (perhaps May onwards), I WILL get an offer, then hurray! For the purposes of this post, though, let's assume that I don't/won't get one.

So, I've got the following questions that I hope people can answer:

- People working in IT - do you agree with the above? What was your experience of getting work before moving over? etc, etc

- My backup plan has always been, if I don't get work in advance, to just come over on a visitor visa, and look for work (https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...look-for-a-job - this says it's OK!) Having spoken to people on the phone at INZ, however, they say things varying from 'No, it's not OK', to 'You can arrive on a visa waiver and declare business as the purpose of your trip at immigration' to '(same answer) but Immigration then might not let you into the country'.

I'm sure that there are lots of people who have simply moved over, got a job, then applied for a work/residence visa etc. What are people's thoughts on this/what is the best option for me/us if we don't get work beforehand?

Thanks to all!

J

You can look for work on a visitor's visa as long you have declared the reason for your visit as "look, see and decide," thereby keeping to the bona fide requirement. This is not written onto the INZ website, so telephone answerers don't find it, but it is so. You also need to be very clear that you can't start doing any work until you have applied for and received an appropriate work visa.

If you are within the age group, have you thought about travelling on a Working Holiday Visa? This would remove any worries about admission on a visitor's visa to look for work.

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yeah, as nowhere on the official INZ website seems to say anything about 'look, see, decide', that's (on the face of it) good news!

I've done some more reading around it, though, and read a bit about how even if that's what you declare on the form, INZ won't necessarily let you in to the country. It's understandable, of course, if there are people who are planning to abuse the system and plan to remain in NZ past the time limit of their visa if they didn't find work. However, that's not what we're planning - obviously, we would want to look for work (and I don't think I'd have much trouble with my experience in the IT industry), but if we DIDN'T find work, we'd have a grand holiday for a month or two and come back to the UK.

So, I suppose I'm asking what information I'd need to provide/how to answer any questions etc to...well, get into the country!

J

P.S. I'm over 30, so the WHV wouldn't work for me :-(

However, there is the BUNAC IEP visa, available for those up to age 36. https://www.bunac.org/uk/work-abroad...inclusions/iep

Old posts on the other issues. https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread...104#post464104
    https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread...246#post479246

That's really interesting info; thanks!

What I take from this is that it's probably best to apply for a visitor visa beforehand, rather than turning up 'waiver-style' and declare intentions to 'maybe do a spot of job hunting while we are here' - woul you agree with that?

J

It would certainly save you the possibility of long interviews at Immigration upon arrival, if you hold visa(s) obtained in advence which allow you to work. Then, as soon as you get an offer, you can apply for a more specifically appropriate work visa.

Sorry for all the q's, but you said in that last reply:

'if you hold visa(s) obtained in advance which allow you to work':

I take it you meant allow me to LOOK for work? :-)

No... if you hold the IEP BUNAC visa, that is a working holiday visa, so you ARE allowed to work on it. Have a look at the conditions. As with the ordinary WHV, people who are offered a permanent job while on it may have to get the employer to write the offer letter phrasing the offer of the permanent job for the future to start from their receiving the work visa, but in the meantime, there is nothing to stop them doing exactly the same work nominally 'temporarily', to fit with the conditions of the WHV.

I can't get a WHV as don't qualify, due to being...well, older!

No go even for the BUNAC IEP? Ah well, it was a thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast