Thread: Freight company for smaller shipment?

Default Freight company for smaller shipment?

Hi all,

Hoping to get some advice from people who have been through this!

Here's our story: we are moving to Nelson (from LA) in the next few months. Thanks to recommendations on this forum, we decided to use Rainier which so far seem great.

The content of our house will be packed and shipped in July, with scheduled arrival in Nelson around mid September.

The house will remain mostly empty - we will have just a few furniture left (bed, mattress on floor for kids), which we will leave behind, and some clothes, essentials, kitchen stuff, etc.

When we fly to NZ, we'd want to take the rest of our personal belongings - no furniture, just clothes, kids toys, etc. It'll be more than we can carry with us on the flight to NZ, so we thought we'll ship the remainder of our stuff in a few large boxes just before we fly to NZ.

So... did any of you do something like this, and if so, which freight / cargo company did you use? We were told that using an international shipping company for a small shipment would be very expensive.

Or, maybe there's another way we can plan this?

Thanks in advance!

Staci

We successfully used UPakWeShip. It was a few years ago now so I don't have up to date feedback, but our only (minor) problem was not knowing that we had to pay Auckland port fees.
    Also look at paying for extra bags on your flight. If you're flying with Air NZ, it's cheaper to pay for extra luggage in advance ("Prepaid Extra Bags" on their website).

Hi - I'd check with USPS for smaller items as they usually have the best prices for that sort of thing. We did use UPakWeShip for our larger goods, and just to warn you had problems with everything from items getting damaged, goods being held hostage, to misrepresentations about costs. I don't want you to have to go through that if it can be avoided at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNZ View Post
    Hi - I'd check with USPS for smaller items as they usually have the best prices for that sort of thing. We did use UPakWeShip for our larger goods, and just to warn you had problems with everything from items getting damaged, goods being held hostage, to misrepresentations about costs. I don't want you to have to go through that if it can be avoided at all.
    I also used USPS to bring similar goods into Australia in 2016, and Australia Post to go back to the US again at the end of the year when my studies were finished. A good-sized box cost about $100. Sorry, can't remember the dimensions, but I fit quite a bit of stuff in there. Raingear and other bulky winter things. I'd definitely go this route for soft goods like clothing that will be out of season when you arrive. A freight company would probably cost you the same or more in fees, time and hassles. My boxes arrived promptly, and in good condition.

BTW, we're also using Rainier to get to NZ. They have been great. There is a huge rush on shipping space at the moment (maybe businesses trying to beat the tariffs), and Rainier has maneuvered us through some sticky situations when our "reserved" space has vanished.

Thanks all for the good advice. It seems like USPS might be our best bet.