Thread: Partnership work visa while on lower skilled work visa

Default Partnership work visa while on lower skilled work visa

Hi, I need urgent help and suggestions from you guys.

I'm currently on lower-skilled work visa and not sure whether I'm eligible to support my wife for an open work visa.

on INZ website they state that I can support my spouse for a work visa if I previously held a post-study work visa. I used to held this visa and support my wife for an open work visa based on her relationship with me. (https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...upport-partner)

What doubts me is my last post-study open-work visa was expired on January 2018 and I tried to apply for a work visa extension which was declined on March 2018 and they only issued us a visitor visa. Following this, recently, I have successfully got my work visa after reapplying and got a lower-skilled visa.

My question is am I still be eligible to support my wife for a work visa? as I don't want to waste another $300 to try.

any help or suggestions will be very useful to me.

Thank you.

The lower section on that page sounds as though it could apply to you, from what you have said. Did she hold a partner-sponsored visa on 28 August 2017? (I know you have been looking at the part about the post-study work visa, but the other paragraph may be relevant as well.)

I haven't heard of anyone with experience to share on this, to tell you definitely, 'This worked for us,' because it is such a recent rule.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    The lower section on that page sounds as though it could apply to you, from what you have said. Did she hold a partner-sponsored visa on 28 August 2017? (I know you have been looking at the part about the post-study work visa, but the other paragraph may be relevant as well.)

I haven't heard of anyone with experience to share on this, to tell you definitely, 'This worked for us,' because it is such a recent rule.
    Yes, she was holding a open work visa prior to 28th August 2017 based on her relationship with me when I'm still holding a student visa and subsequently post-study open work visa. What make to my doubt is we got declined of a work visa when we tried to extend our visa and instead INZ gave us 1 month visitor visa and as a result, there's a period of time where we don't hold any NZ visa at all which make me not sure whether these rules still applies to us.

Do you think it's worth a try?
    Last edited by cakes88; 21st June 2018 at 09:33 PM.

I can understand your concern. All I can say is, I don't know either. But the regulations don't say you CAN'T, I don't think.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I can understand your concern. All I can say is, I don't know either. But the regulations don't say you CAN'T, I don't think.
    My wife just received her work visa approval today. So I can confirm as long as we ever had one of those visa conditions then we can still support for family visas.

Regards,

That's GOOD news.

Are you hoping to stay longer-term, and therefore possibly looking for a more highly-skilled position?

Yes, as my current position is not on the ANZSCO list its getting a bit harder now as the salary requirement is very high. I'll have to look at the opportunity in the future and whether my employer want to support me or not. But just keep the hope so that we can stay permanently, We never know

Good luck! ++++++++