Thread: Specific purpose work visa vs Essential skills work visa

Default Specific purpose work visa vs Essential skills work visa

Hi guys,

I’m holding a specific purpose work visa for one year and will be expired in October 2018. The company I work for is willing to offer me the same position to work in NZ. Should I apply for the same type of work visa? Or can I apply for Essential skills work visa instead?
    But if I apply for same work visa and is granted for interim visa, I can keep working. If I apply for Essential skills work visa and is granted for interim visa, I can not work. Is that correct?
    Trying to figure out the better option.

Thank you in advance.

You can't apply for an Essential Skills Visa from within NZ while you are on a Limited Visa.
    The only kind of visa you can apply for while you’re in New Zealand is another Limited Visa – we’ll only grant this if you need more time to carry out your express purpose.
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-visa#overview

Thank you so much, JandM.

That really helps a lot.

So if I go back to my country to apply for essential skills work visa, that should be ok. Isn't it?

I'm sorry, but not necessarily. Just because you have already held this job, and the employer wants you to continue, does not mean INZ must give you a visa. You can apply, but you will have to meet all the conditions for the ESV, including the employer trying to find someone else suitable to do the work. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ills-work-visa

However, your employer CAN back you for another Limited Visa if the work you were taken on for is not completed.

Thanks, JandM. Your advise is really helpful

Quote Originally Posted by arijana92 View Post
    Thanks, JandM. Your advise is really helpful
    Going back to the beginning. Are you on a Specific Purpose visa, or a limited purpose visa?

Limited Purpose you most certainly cant get another visa while onshore, but specific purpose, as is common in IT related employment, can with some limitations be extended, depending on whether the role might be senior, or technical, or otherwise. PM me

Chris, looking at the link to the Limited Visa page given above, it says...
    The only kind of visa you can apply for while you’re in New Zealand is another Limited Visa – we’ll only grant this if you need more time to carry out your express purpose.
    Thanks for pointing up that the OP said Specific Purpose, though. Here's the link for that page, and there's a How Long Can I Stay button to click on there. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...vent-work-visa

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    Going back to the beginning. Are you on a Specific Purpose visa, or a limited purpose visa?

Limited Purpose you most certainly cant get another visa while onshore, but specific purpose, as is common in IT related employment, can with some limitations be extended, depending on whether the role might be senior, or technical, or otherwise. PM me
    Hi ChrisMwn,

The visa I am holding is Specific purpose one.What I am concerned about is that INZ might not accept the "purpose" to issue me another visa.