Thread: Is NZ PR still valid after change of Citizenship from Indian to Australian

Default Is NZ PR still valid after change of Citizenship from Indian to Australian

Hi there

I am holding a NZ PR issued on my Indian passport

I am now planning to get Australian Citizenship as I have got Australian PR also

Will my NZ PR still be valid and can I get it transferred to my new Australian passport ?

Cheers

Yes, and yes. You will have to show the documentation to prove the change of citizenship, but you are still the same person who qualified for NZ PR, and that is what counts.

When you get an Australian passport, you can come and stay in New Zealand without visa. So it doesn’t matter if your nz pr still works or not.

PR status can make a slight difference in some circumstances, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    PR status can make a slight difference in some circumstances, though.
    I can be eligible for NZ Citizenship also if I am having a PR and move back to NZ
    Which would not have been possible with just an Australian Citizenship ?

That’s why I want to keep that option alive

Cheers
    Last edited by newbienz; 24th June 2018 at 03:23 AM.

Yes, as things stand you are on your way, instead of having to start over again.

But YOU have PR.That is in the INZ records, and does not depend on being on a label in a passport. It is just easier on officials if you keep the visible proof up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Yes, as things stand you are on your way, instead of having to start over again.

But YOU have PR.That is in the INZ records, and does not depend on being on a label in a passport. It is just easier on officials if you keep the visible proof up to date.
    I hope the rules have not changed in the last year

The NZ PR is for life irrespective of whether I continue to live or not in NZ ?

Is this correct ?

Any murmurs or news that this may be changed ?
    AUS PR are only valid for 5 years beyond which you have to keep renewing them

Cheers
    Last edited by newbienz; 24th June 2018 at 05:49 PM.

The NZ PR is for life irrespective of whether I continue to live or not in NZ ? Is this correct ?
    That is correct.

Nothing can change the terms of the PR already granted to you, even if the NZ government decided to make changes in the law which would apply to future applicants.

What Australia does has no bearing on this matter - different countries, different laws.