Thread: Overseas Work Experience Referees Concern

Post Overseas Work Experience Referees Concern

Hello guys!

I just got my work visa and is going to send my cv next week but I am not sure who to put as referees. I worked in a police department overseas as an office personnel before and they change/rotate the bosses everytime. I have no contact with my former colleagues and I don't want to put them as my referees either coz they could be biased once an employer in here rings them. I went to the directory of the police department and found the number of the new admin officer. I don't personally know him since in the police department they always rotate/change the jurisdiction of high-ranking officials to avoid corruption. Is it ok to put the name of this official and contact info in my referees even though we don't know each other? I'm pretty sure they have my records as a former employee. Is it really necessary to put the names of my former employees overseas and do NZ employers really ring the applicant's overseas employers? Or can I just put someone I know here in NZ as referees?

You're going to send your CV next week for what, exactly? That can make a difference to the answer.

Hi JandM. . I am going to apply for a government position. . I'm not sure if they would be keen to ask me for an interview though but I will still try