Thread: Employer not support post study employer assisted visa?

Question Employer not supporting post study employer assisted visa?

Hi all,

This query is on behalf of a friend.

He was on a post-study open search visa and was working full time at a hotel. He had received verbal agreement that his post-study employer assisted visa would be supported around 8 months ago.

About a month ago, he asked his employer to support his post study employer assisted visa (visa expires in August 2018). His manager and then the general manager have both declined his request. He has been a hard working employee, never reported sick, also given responsibility of an acting supervisor so he was positive of his employer supporting him.

He's in shock and planning to resign. Job search hasn't helped him owing to the visa validity ending. He requested employer for essential skills visa but in turn they told him that if they place an ad and if they find better candidates they might end up selecting any candidate they feel promising and thus not continue with his employment.

He has invested a lot of time, money and been a dedicated employee. No performance issues whatsoever. Infact his first manager (who is no longer working) supported him as a supervisor but she left for better opportunity herself.

What are his chances of continuing legally in NZ? Feel free to PM me if needed.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Famed; 1st July 2018 at 02:29 PM.

Hi Famed,

I don't know all the circumstances of your friend, but it may not be about him or the hotel: INZ has made it increasingly difficult to pass their stated requirements, and there have been a lot of complaints from both applicants and employers. I was directly informed (in writing) that my application was not assessed according to the rules in place at the time I applied. INZ just doesn't care.

Maybe the friend can contact the first manager and see if there is a another job available. Also, he could move forward with the Essential Skills visa and hope that the employer selects him. And, look for other jobs in the meantime. I wouldn't quit unless there's no other option.

Again, I don't know the case, but maybe it's not about your friend at all.... many employers have been interested in me but have passed me over specifically because I don't have residency. It's not personal.

Gaida

Maybe the friend can contact the first manager and see if there is a another job available. Also, he could move forward with the Essential Skills visa and hope that the employer selects him. And, look for other jobs in the meantime. I wouldn't quit unless there's no other option.
    Agreed.

Also, many employers just don't want all the hassle of dealing with INZ.

But what this one said about the ESV is just the fact of what is NZ law. They HAVE to choose any equally good NZ citizen or resident who answers the advertisement, over the foreign job-holder, and justify why the foreigner is better if they choose him.