Thread: Catch 22

Default Catch 22

Hello,

Has anybody overcome the catch-22 of needing employment to have sufficient points for an EOI, but also needing the Right to Work in NZ for employers to seriously consider you? If so it would be great to hear how things went for you.

Is this an impossible situation to overcome....or just another challenge?

Currently we only score about 125 on the EOI points test, but with an offer, it would be around 215.

Also, are there any teachers here from the US that have gone through the IQA process who have any advice to lend?

The TeachNZ website states that teachers are in short supply, but they are for the most part not on any of the shortage lists. I only saw one listing for Special Ed.

Thanks,
    Brad

Hi, I have been living in NZ for nearly 2 years after moving from the UK. I was in the same situation but managed to get a job offer in NZ from the uk. That way you can claim the points for employment with a offer letter and contract. Just so you know, the contract can't have a probation period to ensure you have guaranteed employment. We applied directly for a residence visa and all the application for ourselves (i.e. without an agent) without a problem.

The main difference I guess is that my job (structural engineer) is on the skills shortage list.

Are there any jobs you could get more easily and do for the minimum period (I think it is one year), then change jobs once you are living in NZ.

good luck!

I think it’s highly dependent on how in demand your skillset is. The public sector (teaching etc) might have its own set of regulations and challenges, not sure. Maybe employers will start to adjust their expectations now that it’s so much harder to get enough points for even a job search visa. We elected to travel to NZ and meet in person, which seems to make a difference, but of course that’s expensive and logistically difficult. Some people I met said that volunteering can lead to job possibilities, because people know you and come to rely on you. This is legal on a visitor’s visa, BUT you have to be very careful not to receive any sort of compensation, not even job training, nor room and board.

AVFC,
    thanks for your response. Sorry I’m a bit slow to reply. So it’s encouraging to know that it is possible to do.

My wife is the teacher, and my background is in Telecommunications and SW test. So it may be easier if I job-shopped from here with my skill set to expedite things. Appreciate your insight.

Hope your 2 years have been fruitful and you are happy with the decision.

Juniper,
    I think that doing a quick trip down to meet/interview is probably an effective use of time. Probably best for both parties. I agree it would be an expense....but the whole process of emigrating seems to consume a bit of cash. Glad to hear it worked out well for you.

Thanks to you both for your input. I hope that you are happy with your choice to make the move.

-Brad

Quote Originally Posted by BKL View Post
    AVFC,
    thanks for your response. Sorry I’m a bit slow to reply. So it’s encouraging to know that it is possible to do.

My wife is the teacher, and my background is in Telecommunications and SW test. So it may be easier if I job-shopped from here with my skill set to expedite things. Appreciate your insight.

Hope your 2 years have been fruitful and you are happy with the decision.

Juniper,
    I think that doing a quick trip down to meet/interview is probably an effective use of time. Probably best for both parties. I agree it would be an expense....but the whole process of emigrating seems to consume a bit of cash. Glad to hear it worked out well for you.

Thanks to you both for your input. I hope that you are happy with your choice to make the move.

-Brad
    Hubs is SW Test are you accredited ISTQB? We're in the UK still - early stages of investigating migration. Hubs has had some 'telephone' interviews with potential employers in NZ which I am taking as positive. Seems quite a slow process without have enough points to submit EOI though.