Thread: Accredited employer -- how does it work, can they hire non-NZers?

Default Accredited employer -- how does it work, can they hire non-NZers?

Hello forum,

Can you help me understand how accredited employers work? Based on INZ info for Talent visa (https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...residence-visa), it seems that a current accredited employer can hire non-NZ-applicants under Talent visa with few problems. Is that true?

I ask because I have applied for jobs with current accredited employers (they're on the list, and have been for years) that say, "To be appointed to this role, you would require ongoing permission to work in New Zealand as a citizen or permanent resident. This position is not categorised as a skills shortage by New Zealand Immigration. If you do not currently hold citizenship or permanent residency, please provide details of your immigration status and plans for obtaining permanent residency."

This brings up several questions:
    1) I thought Talent visa does not require that the job be a skills shortage job, just that the job be skilled...?
    2) I thought the point of the accredited employers list was to make it easy for certain employer to hire non-NZ-applicants in situations where they thought it was necessary.
    3) Is the accredited employer scheme a recent scheme? Or a change to a scheme such that employers don't know?

It is interesting that some accredited employers have been very happy to interview me -- I have had no problems getting short-listed. But other accredited employers have stated that if I don't already have residence, they can't interview me.

To me, it seems that some employers are just unaware of the visa options and immigration programs. Does anyone have any insight?
    Gaida

No, it's not a new scheme.

Here is the information for employers wishing to apply to become accredited. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/empl...employer/apply

I think, in the current political situation - quite a lot of talk before the last election about 'limiting foreigners from taking our jobs' on the one hand, while, on the other, many employers protesting against more restriction because they were still finding it difficult to recruit people with the right skill-levels - there are a lot of businesses applying to become accredited who are new to the scheme. These may not be fully aware of all the possibilities. Also, many would-be migrants, given more of a struggle by the latest regulations, are targeting accredited businesses with applications, whether they're advertising or not, so some may be using a brush-off formula which isn't exactly correct.

Good luck - it's obvious how hard you're working to find yourself an opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaida View Post
    Hello forum,

Can you help me understand how accredited employers work? Based on INZ info for Talent visa (https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...residence-visa), it seems that a current accredited employer can hire non-NZ-applicants under Talent visa with few problems. Is that true?

I ask because I have applied for jobs with current accredited employers (they're on the list, and have been for years) that say, "To be appointed to this role, you would require ongoing permission to work in New Zealand as a citizen or permanent resident. This position is not categorised as a skills shortage by New Zealand Immigration. If you do not currently hold citizenship or permanent residency, please provide details of your immigration status and plans for obtaining permanent residency."

This brings up several questions:
    1) I thought Talent visa does not require that the job be a skills shortage job, just that the job be skilled...?
    2) I thought the point of the accredited employers list was to make it easy for certain employer to hire non-NZ-applicants in situations where they thought it was necessary.
    3) Is the accredited employer scheme a recent scheme? Or a change to a scheme such that employers don't know?

It is interesting that some accredited employers have been very happy to interview me -- I have had no problems getting short-listed. But other accredited employers have stated that if I don't already have residence, they can't interview me.

To me, it seems that some employers are just unaware of the visa options and immigration programs. Does anyone have any insight?
    Gaida
    all/most of the banks is accredited employer. but their HR system will "automatically" filter out people with work visa.
    maybe through agency can get past that ?

In my case, one of the major sectors of accredited "businesses" I've targeted is the tertiary education sector -- and I'm referring to PhD-level institutions (University of Auckland, Waikato, Canterbury, Otago, etc.). These are long-standing accredited employers; however, while I have had multiple interviews at one of these employers, others have an unofficial policy of not hiring non-teaching staff that don't have residency. I can't even get an interview. This despite having been shoulder-tapped for a position at one of them (which could not be forwarded because of unofficial policy against those on work visas).

I'm just wondering if my understanding of accredited employer is correct, that they COULD hire me (or anyone else) on a Talent visa, but they are choosing not to. No blame here, I just want to understand the situation. Am I correct about the visa situation?

As to recruiters, very few folks in my field (including tertiary education) use an agency.

I wonder (without having done any research, just a thought) if the accreditation means that no matter which job within the company comes up the company can hire whoever they think fitting, or if it is restricted to certain roles? Just because a company is accredited probably doesn't mean that every part of their business is having problems of finding local applicants?