Thread: Can be a supervisor for a learner driver?

Default Can be a supervisor for a learner driver?

Hi,

Does any one know if I can be a supervisor for a learner driver?

I have converted my Singapore driver license which I have held for more than 10 years to NZ full license which i have held for less than 2 years.

My Singapore license has been converted to NZ license. Im not sure if it is still any use in NZ.

The link here doesnt answer: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...rs/supervisor/

Thanks!

That link says “has held their full New Zealand licence (or an equivalent overseas driver licence) for at least two years”. So did you have to do any additional testing (apart from eyesight) to convert? If not, I would read that your overseas licence was equivalent.

Thanks. I converted by passing thoery and practical test. I called NZTA and they said i can be supervisor.

So if one has a full drivers license from abroad (for more than 2 years) AND a full NZ license (even if recently issued), they can be a supervisor? Please clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by Famed View Post
    So if one has a full drivers license from abroad (for more than 2 years) AND a full NZ license (even if recently issued), they can be a supervisor? Please clarify?
    Yes. has to have FULL aboard license for MORE than 2 years AND a full NZ license of any duration.

You need to fill an NZTA form called DL4 (Apply for an exemption) – then you will be able to recognise your overseas driving experience which ultimately exempt you from having to wait 2 years after got your first NZ full license

Quote Originally Posted by Sackboy View Post
    You need to fill an NZTA form called DL4 (Apply for an exemption) – then you will be able to recognise your overseas driving experience which ultimately exempt you from having to wait 2 years after got your first NZ full license
    Hi sackboy thanks.

NZTA replied me:

A supervisor is someone who:

holds a full New Zealand licence for the class of vehicle; and
    does not have a supervisory condition; and
    - has held their full New Zealand licence for at least two years; or
    - has held an equivalent overseas licence for at least two years.
    This means if you have held an overseas licence for that class of vehicle for at least two years, you can act as a supervisor providing you also hold a full New Zealand licence. In this situation you are not required to hold the New Zealand licence for two years. You will need to carry both your NZ licence and overseas licence with you at all times when acting as a supervisor.

She did not mention about DL4 form.

DL4 is a work around. It's really a good one. I got my endorsements by asking for this exemption too.

Anyway, here's why you need to fill DL4 form:
    You are considered to be a professional driver after you have hold your full NZ drivers license for two years. I believe you have had full drivers license for more than two years from another country. When you fill DL4 form, you are asking NZTA to exempt you from waiting two years by proofing that you have had a previous driving experience in overseas, and convince NZTA you never breach any NZTA rules, such as never overspeeding, never caused or involved in an accident, etc.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Cheers!
    Sackboy