Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Elderly parents of migrants left in limbo over visa changes"

Default "Elderly parents of migrants left in limbo over visa changes"

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/nation...r-visa-changes
    Elderly overseas parents desperate to join their children in New Zealand say the government is sweeping their plight under the carpet after failing to announce what it will do about the residence parent category.....An Immigration New Zealand spokesperson said it was currently processing more than 300 applications for parent category visas lodged before the review was announced. "We are not, however, currently selecting new expressions of interest to apply for a parent category visa, and no decision has been made about when selections may restart," the spokesperson said.

After almost 2.5 years in the EOI pool, I like thousands of others, would just like some sort of official news on this category.
    The review must surely have been completed by now meaning that any "new rules" and quotas will have been decided even if the category reopen date has not.
    If INZ were to at least make the outcome of the review publicly available, it would allow individuals to determine if a future with family in New Zealand is still going to be an option.
    This continued period of "limbo" is horrible.

bloody inz

Quote Originally Posted by ysc5 View Post
    bloody inz
    actually not inz, it's the government.

Well they are making those student visa changes sometime in August/September so they may update us on the parent category during that announcement

Imagine the scenario.....
    You decide to order some goods / services that you feel you are very important to you are and are a "must have".

As this item is not available anywhere else, you pay up front with an an expectation of a probable delivery in about 6-9 months time.

After 6 months, you are then told that a significant problem with supply has been identified and your delivery will now be delayed for a further 2 years.

As you have set your heart on this item and it still reamins a "must have" you have no choice but to wait in the hope that supply will eventually catch up with demand.

As this long 2 year wait starts to draw to a close, you start to hear gossip / whispers that the supply is now so constrained and that you and possibly thousands of other people might be unlikely to receive the goods / services that you have ordered. But still no information is forthcoming from the supplier about the outcome your order.

You then realise that the supplier had probably been fully aware of all the facts for a very long time and even though you might be 70 or 80 years old, they decided to withhold this inforamtion as it was not deemed important to tell you.

Why would anyone knowingly do that?

Note:
    The last major change to the parent category was in 2012 and saw a temporary closure while the EOI rules were implemented.
    That closure lasted for about 2 months!

Sadly this is Nationals doing. They made it easy for low skilled people to be allowed into NZ and allowed them to bring their parents with them. Many of these parents speak little English and cannot work so personally I feel they have no right to be here and do not contribute but rather take from this country with the healthcare and other public services. The country is struggling enough as it is so we don't need more people. Just because a persons children chose to emigrate to NZ doesn't mean we should allow parents in. We need more highly skilled, honest good English speaking individuals that can contribute for years to come.

That's one way of seeing things, but I don't think it's the only angle.

The vast majority of threads I've answered on in the years I've been on this forum have been on the subject of how to prove qualifications for visa criteria, or sympathizing with people who have been refused visas. Hardly anybody has ever joined ENZ only to say, 'I got a visa with no trouble.'

Then, about the parents themselves. Here are the criteria for the currently suspended parent visa. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-resident-visa One of these is, "English language - You must be able to speak English," and it lists the proof that has to be shown. Then, "Sponsorship - You must have an adult child who is eligible to sponsor you," with the further details among the evidence required, that they
    agree to meet your living costs for the first 10 years of your residence, if you’re unable to
    agree to cover the costs of sending you home, if necessary.
    Then look at the Tier One and Tier Two application details - they show the proven income required of the parents and/or their sponsoring adult child.

Wow jstonley you have used a very broad brush to capture all immigrant parents with your very sweeping statements.

Why is it that I get the impression that you have no close family ties of your own (children or parents)?

In every caring society, thats what we do. We look after our own aging parents and when they pass, our thoughts turn to our own children and grandchildren and that's how it should be. It just so happens that for some of us, these family members now live in New Zealand. You also need to appreciate that for some applicants, this New Zealand resident could well now be the only family who is still alive.

I am convinced that some of your comments (re healthcare, benefits etc) are based on political comments or hearsay or might I suggest the current buzz term "fake news".
    Unless of course you can direct me to the evidence or source of your information.

"Sadly this is Nationals doing. They made it easy for low skilled people to be allowed into NZ and allowed them to bring their parents with them"[/I]

You make it sound like an open door policy is in place for parents and that no conditions are applied to their entry. This is completely untrue as JandM rightly points out.

Yes, the National party set the current rules for this category in 2012 but each government of the day has always been responsible for setting the rules / criteria for
    all visa categories. Visa rules will always be subject to change and I have no problem with that. This is the position we are in at the moment waiting for the "new" government to make public what they have planned.

"Many of these parents speak little English "

This is where some visa rules are not fit for purpose. If rules are not fully policed then why have them in the first place?
    For example, when people are now made to pay for English speaking courses but with no follow up to ensure compliance it means that this becomes just another form of income stream for the government.

It would be interesting to know if the government keeps any figures / statistics on immigrants (including parents) who having failed to comply with visa conditions such as sponsorship or financial and have then subsequently been sent home. If they do keep such statistics then I honestly expect the number to be extremely low and quite possibly nil ! That does not mean that complete compliance is the norm, it just means there the government cannot be bothered to check.

"and cannot work so personally I feel they have no right to be here and do not contribute but rather take from this country"

You might surprised to hear that the majority of us who are applying under this category are of an age that means WORK is a thing of the past and they have no intention to re-visit that way of life. Additionally, 2 out the 3 criteria for Tier 1 applications, means that we are bringing money into the country (thus paying taxes "for years to come") and so will NOT be taking from the country.

"the country is struggling enough as it is so we don't need more people"

please note that your "country" does extend beyond Auckland and thank goodness, in many places, immigrants are encouraged and welcomed.

"We need more highly skilled, honest good English speaking individuals that can contribute for years to come."

Correct but most of these highly skilled individuals will also have a partner and children. Children are very expensive and the partner may well be a non-worker.
    At the risk of me falling into view of the world, would you suggest that larger family units should also be considered for your "no contribution / no right to be here" view or do you reserve that view just for the older generation?

I personnaly find much of your post unhelpful bordering on the offensive to the many caring, family orientated, elderly, non-working, finacially secure applicants who would like to join their family and make New Zealand their home but hopefully not to have you as a next door neighbour

The parent category is in the news again, there was an item on RNZ this morning and will be more on Sunday. Here's the link to today's item (audio) https://www.radionz.co.nz/national/p...migration-news

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast