Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which visa to choose

Default Which visa to choose

My wife is completing her post-graduation by end of August and she works for an accredited employer on a part-time basis Now. Now the accredited employer has offered her a permanent role and willing to sponsor her Visa.

We have two options now:

1. Apply for Post study open work visa (1-year duration) -> SMC residence -> employer-assisted visa (2 years)
    2. Apply for talent work visa (30 months) and apply for SMC residence

Question:
    1. Can we apply for SMC when we are on Talent work visa?
    2. Which is the safest and easiest route to residency?

The open work visa is probably more used by people who haven't so far been offered a skilled job for the long term. In your wife's case, she doesn't actually need that, and it would involve paying an extra lot of fees to INZ.

If she applies for a Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Visa https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-visa#criteria, she is on course to go for Residence after two years with the Talent (Accredited Employer) Residence Visa. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-resident-visa However, if she meets the requirements for applying under the Skilled Migrant Category, she doesn't HAVE to wait for the end of the two years - she could put in an EOI straight away, while still on the Talent Work Visa.

Either way of doing this is good.

Thanks J&M that helps. we will go for option 2 then. Can I also apply for my dependent visa along with her talent visa?

Yes, you can apply simultaneously, linking your applications with a covering letter. INZ will then work it as one case, supplying information you don't have to begin with, such as her visa number, as it becomes available.

@J&M : Thanks. we are applying online and we are requested to make this a group application by the immigration lawyer. Also, my wife has not completed her course, but they wanted us to apply for the visa now requesting them to provide the visa after her studies i.e., starting of september.(her course ends on August and for us to get the course completion it will take 20 days after that) Isn't the course completion certificate necessary for applying the talent accredited visa?

Isn't the course completion certificate necessary for applying the talent accredited visa?
    There's no mention of it here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-visa#criteria

thanks J&M that is good to know.

Applied both our visa and the wait game starts now

I'd personally recommend post-study open work visa, since this is only granted limited time after you graduated. And with this visa you can work wherever you want. Later on maybe 6 months ++ when you have 'really settled' with your job, then get an employer assisted or talent visa (i.e. Work to resident visa) — I'm providing this based on my previous experience 😃

we both got our visa today for 30 months. Thanks J&M for your suggestions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast