Thread: Passport expire in 18 months

Default Passport expire in 18 months

Good day all

I have received a job offer in NZ. And my passport is expiring in 18 months.

I have done my medical test and language test using this Passport and will be using this passport for the essential skill work visa application.

I have also applied for a new passport which takes a few weeks.

The Question is, will INZ only give me a 12 month Visa, due to my passport expiry. If so would it be better to wait for the new passport before applying for the visa, and then would the various test that have been completed be impacted due to me now having a new passport?

According to their website I qualify for a 5 year visa, due to the high skill band requirement. I dont want to wait for the new passport, and hoping that INZ will issue a 5 year visa with my current passport, which I can just transfer to my new Passport later.

Any Advice
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeonC View Post
    Good day all

I have received a job offer in NZ. And my passport is expiring in 18 months.

I have done my medical test and language test using this Passport and will be using this passport for the essential skill work visa application.

I have also applied for a new passport which takes a few weeks.

The Question is, will INZ only give me a 12 month Visa, due to my passport expiry. If so would it be better to wait for the new passport before applying for the visa, and then would the various test that have been completed be impacted due to me now having a new passport?

According to their website I qualify for a 5 year visa, due to the high skill band requirement. I dont want to wait for the new passport, and hoping that INZ will issue a 5 year visa with my current passport, which I can just transfer to my new Passport later.

Any Advice
    Thanks
    Two possibilities here. INZ in their discretion may approve a visa for the maximum period, but only issue the Visa label (evisa document) for a period either 1 or 3 months less that the expiry of your passport (depending on whether it can be renewed in NZ, or not), and require you to pay for a replacement label when the new passport is available , or they may simply grant the visa for 1-3 months less than the expiry of the passport , as above.

Perhaps apply with current passport and then tell INZ that you got new passport while waiting for decision. It's highly unlikely they will process your visa before you get a new passport anyway.

Or alternatively, pay the express fee for passport and get in in 1 or 3 days rather than weeks (not sure if you country does thos option).