Thread: Indefinite Residency - expired passport

Default Indefinite Residency - expired passport

Dear all,

I am a permanent NZ resident (indefinite residency), currently residing outside of NZ. I have 2 valid passports of my home country, one of them expiring end of the year (the one with the NZ residency sticker). My other passport is valid until 2025.
    Will my residency expire/ get invalid if I do not transfer the sticker into my valid passport?

Thank you!

PS: No, I do not have dual citizenship, I have 2 valid passports of the same country

Permanent Residence does not expire (it is for life, and it's on record that you have it), but you can't use it to enter the country unless it is in a valid passport. INZ have recently started issuing eVisas even for residence (no sticker in the passport, and an official letter to carry with it and show if required), so you can notify them about your other passport and get one of those. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...-online/evisas If you would rather have a label, you have to request that separately and pay a fee for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Permanent Residence does not expire (it is for life, and it's on record that you have it), but you can't use it to enter the country unless it is in a valid passport. INZ have recently started issuing eVisas even for residence (no sticker in the passport, and an official letter to carry with it and show if required), so you can notify them about your other passport and get one of those. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...-online/evisas If you would rather have a label, you have to request that separately and pay a fee for doing so.
    Thank you for the quick response and the information. If I understand correctly I will still need to go through the agency outside of NZ to apply for the Evisa. But at least it seems I can save the money for INZ.

Thank you!