Thread: Utility bills as a proof of partnersip

Default Utility bills as a proof of partnersip

Hi guys,

Maybe a super weird question but how do you put both names on utility bills so they can serve as a proof of relationship?

After 6 years of flatting in NZ for each of us, separately and together, we've finally moved to our private apartment (it feels amazing )

So it was the first time we had ever had to deal with the utilities etc. and my partner couldn't figure out how to put both of our names on, so he jus put his name down.

I have successfully received 2 NZ partner-based work visas before and my residency application has gone through the initial CO assesment and is curently going through a long NSC.

In the past I had a letter from our landlord, stating that he covers the utility bills. This time I have sent my CO the new tenancy agreement and she said she'll contact me later when she requires stuff. Since it's been 5 month after I've subbmited the docs and it will probably take another 2-3 months for my NSC to come through, I am pretty sure she'll request the latest proofs so I am a bit worried about those...

The tenancy agreement and bond (lodged with the goverment) are under our names and we've got lots of receipts for the household purchases with our shared credit cards but I just want to be 100% ready (even though I am probably overthinking it). We've also got the shared bank accounts, credit cards etc.

So what's the best way to get those sorted or do you think I can manage without them?

Thanks!

You don't both HAVE to be paying utility bills. There are two main functions that a utility bill fulfils for INZ. One is to show that some public organization knows of the named person as living at that address. The other is to show that that partner is making a solid financial contribution to the shared expenses of the couple's partnership. Looked at like that, you can see that there are other things you can show that will do the same jobs. Have a look at these old threads https://www.google.com/search?source....0.JJR-XeQS5rk which have discussion and examples of partnership evidence.

I simply asked my power company to put account under both of our names. They simply did it and are sending us bills with both of our names on it.

Call or email requesting to add your partner on the account and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    You don't both HAVE to be paying utility bills. There are two main functions that a utility bill fulfils for INZ. One is to show that some public organization knows of the named person as living at that address. The other is to show that that partner is making a solid financial contribution to the shared expenses of the couple's partnership. Looked at like that, you can see that there are other things you can show that will do the same jobs. Have a look at these old threads https://www.google.com/search?source....0.JJR-XeQS5rk which have discussion and examples of partnership evidence.
    Thanks JandM, We've actually got heaps of evidence (especially after applying for two visas) but I was just worried that we just moved to our new place so we don't have much evidence that we live there yet (no mail, bills etc.) so that was my concern. But hopefully the CO will also understand that you can't just magically get stuff within few weeks after the move. I guess I'll just rely on our financial information and travel arrangments if she asks for more and go from there...

Think about deliberately generating things. Write to e.g. banks, or businesses, with a query, so that they will reply to you through the mail, then you will have the letter and its envelope. You can both do that. Make sure that your employers, your doctor, and any clubs or facilities (the library?) you belong to, have your new address on record, then get them to print you a copy of your records. Your employers and your doctor should also have your other half written in your records as your next-of-kin, to be contacted in case of any emergency, which is an extra point.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Think about deliberately generating things. Write to e.g. banks, or businesses, with a query, so that they will reply to you through the mail, then you will have the letter and its envelope. You can both do that. Make sure that your employers, your doctor, and any clubs or facilities (the library?) you belong to, have your new address on record, then get them to print you a copy of your records. Your employers and your doctor should also have your other half written in your records as your next-of-kin, to be contacted in case of any emergency, which is an extra point.
    Wow thanks for the ideas! In my defence, I was born in the end of nineties so this paper-mail-offline thing is quite foreign to me

Should probably also get a GP after 6 years of living in NZ... I could probably get my colleagues to write something as well as they've met my partner a few times if there's a need for it.

Getting letters from colleagues is evidence in another category - references from friends and family, recognizing the partnership.

The thing about mail from businesses and institutions, and copies of what they have in their records about you, is that it's not from people who know you on a personal level (who might be doing you a favour by writing whatever you ask them to) - it's official knowledge of who you are and where you both live, from parts of the society around you who haven't got a friendship link.

If you think you are a bit short of such evidence, don't forget you can both join more things now - interest groups, sports teams, the RSA, for instance.