Thread: Weekly pay but employer's pay out delayed and pay cycle backdated for fixed period?

Angry Weekly pay but employer's pay out delayed and pay cycle backdated for fixed period?

Hi all,

Asking on behalf of someone who is on a post-study open work visa. Will be depending on this employer for employer assisted visa unfortunately.

Is it legal for the employer to do this:

Joining date - 16th July, pay cycle as per contract is weekly
    Hope to be paid on this Friday
    but while paying will only pay salary from 16th July to 20th, since pay period is weekly. This is to hold off on the pay to prevent employees from quitting without notice period.

Can someone please share their opinion on what can be done?
    Last edited by Famed; 1st August 2018 at 11:56 PM.

Anyone?

Hopefully someone will be along soon who can help you. Because of different time zones and other commitments etc and the fact that everyone here give help on their experiences etc so it could take a little time and hopefully someone will post when they can. Sorry i could not be more helpful.

I suggest your friend should talk to the NZ Citizens' Advice Bureau - they are knowledgeable about NZ employment law, whereas this forum is strongest on NZ immigration law. http://www.cab.org.nz/Pages/home.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Famed View Post
    Hi all,

Asking on behalf of someone who is on a post-study open work visa. Will be depending on this employer for employer assisted visa unfortunately.

Is it legal for the employer to do this:

Joining date - 16th July, pay cycle as per contract is weekly
    Hope to be paid on this Friday
    but while paying will only pay salary from 16th July to 20th, since pay period is weekly. This is to hold off on the pay to prevent employees from quitting without notice period.

Can someone please share their opinion on what can be done?
    This is totally normal and legal. I used to have the same thing (except monthly, not weekly... that was a wait!)... when we switched to biweekly I got an extra large check to realign.