Thread: What would happen if point is reduced but still meet 160 threshold?

Default What would happen if point is reduced but still meet 160 threshold?

Dear ENZ community,

I have been reading and learning from this forum so thanks everyone for sharing.

I just submitted my EOI with 170 points, yet to be selected, but I have a question to ask. I have claimed my spouse qualification point based on her PAR result (Master Degree Level 9). While we are waiting for the selection, just curious that in case of full IQA result has different outcome and we lose 10 points (assumed level 7 or 8), and EOI total will be 160 which is still meet the minimum selection. So, the EOI will be returned to the pool or INZ would carry on with ITA?

Thanks,
    Chad

As long as the points total is 160 or higher, the application will continue to be processed.

You can claim 10 points for Level 7 /Level 8

Thanks y’all for the reply. Yes, we still can claim 10 points - the PAR result did lead us to claim 20 as it has level 9 result. I know PAR is not so favorable but I chose to do it as I was not sure about my spouse English test. However, she just made it so we proceed with EOI.

Maybe another query that I would like to ask the forum. I’m offshore applicant without job offer, I understand that the given visa will be JSV. Somehow, my current job overseas can support my commitment for living in New Zealand (I’m working for major oil and gas with 4 weeks on/off so I can spend my days off in New Zealand). I do not want to leave my company after have been working with them for 14 years.

Do you think or at what point you think I can negotiate with INZ about direct RV instead of JSV? My justifications are simply my work situation and ability to meet immigration commitments.

Thanks,
    Chad

For sharing, I had my IQA fast track done in 8 working days. So if anyone is looking for recent timeline, they are working very effectively at the moment.

Do you think or at what point you think I can negotiate with INZ about direct RV instead of JSV? My justifications are simply my work situation and ability to meet immigration commitments.
    That won't work. See SM1.5, g and h. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#66762.htm The only way to go from a Skilled Migrant Category Job Search Visa is to get the offer of a skilled job in New Zealand. The point of the Skilled Migrant Category is for foreigners with skills to make themselves available for employment in NZ, to the benefit of NZ society.

Thanks JandM. Appreciated your comment. Points made and it’s something that I hope I can negotiate with them.

The company that I’m working with has affiliate in New Zealand but in different sector. Not sure it can be considered relevant. My whole point is I can live there, pay taxes, buy house, and basically survive although source of income is from overseas. I do understand the SMC intent but it’s something that I personally want to challenge a bit when the time comes.

Not sure if there is anyone been they similar situation before then please share.

Thanks in advance,
    Chad

I realize I am saying things you don't want to hear. I'll tell the truth this once, so it's been said, then after that you can of course please yourself.

but it’s something that I personally want to challenge a bit when the time comes.
    I understand what you would like to have happen, and of course, you can put whatever you want to INZ. But bear in mind that INZ is an arm of the New Zealand government, and the regulations are the law of the land. On the one hand, one (foreign) individual would LIKE x, y and z, and on the other, NZ politicians have set up a whole system geared to allowing ONLY those people to live and work in their country who, they feel, will benefit it in specific ways, and not disadvantage their own citizens and residents - this isn't even a matter of 'who will win that argument', but rather, there isn't even an argument. There are many old threads on this forum where people have said in various heartfelt ways what comes down to, 'But I'm ME, and I'm a good person, so I ought to be allowed to...' and, 'The rules OUGHT to stretch to allow a, b and c, which makes economic sense because...' and no outcome based on those feelings can end how the posters would wish. (If it hadn't been for a rule-change by INZ some years ago, I would have been living in NZ now, but can only ever be a visitor.)

When applying for a visa for New Zealand, it is entirely up to the applicant to present themself, their qualifications, experience and present situation in a way that fits into the regulations as set out in one of the categories. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#35439.htm INZ officials working each case are not empowered to interpret the regulations, only to apply them to see if THIS case meets the appropriate check-list for that visa.

If you were able to persuade your present employer to transfer your employment so that you were actually employed by their affiliate in NZ, that might fit the requirements for SMC, which you can check out in detail. But being employed by a foreign company to work elsewhere, won't.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and facts JandM. My journey has long way to go and I will keep in mind with your suggestions. Looks like I will have to prepare myself well for every next steps, keep finger crossed, and hope for the best.