Thread: Going for residence - but not graduated

Default Going for residence - but not graduated

I've been working for a couple of years here in NZ on a working visa.

I work in marketing (4 years now) although I went to university (Netherlands) for 4 years to get my bachelor, I didn't get my bachelor diploma. I do have my propedeuse, though.
    What are my options when it comes to residency? With SMC I can't claim points for my qualifications, right?
    Are there any other options I could pursuit.

I really want to move towards residency to make sure I have a future here in NZ

If you look at the ANZSCO description of your job, it probably will state the number of years of experience which can substitute for a qualification. So, for instance, if it says 3 years' experience can substitute, and a person has worked in the role for 8 years, then INZ would allow them to claim that they had five years' skilled experience (with the first three years counting as their qualification).

For my case this is 5 years. So Does this mean after 5 years. I will also get the 50 points for qualification? Otherwise I will never get to the 160 points required.

SM8 has details of what is required for a qualification to count for points, and no, being considered as qualified by experience doesn't get those points.

Have you looked at the full list of what can count? https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#66763.htm The column on the right on this chart tells you which section to look at for the detailed requirements each time.

If it still looks as though you will be short, there are other things you can consider. One step to help with SMC could be doing some kind of spare-time study for a suitable qualification in New Zealand, to boost your points total.

You could look around for an equivalent position with an accredited employer, to get a Talent (Accredited Employer) work visa. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...residence-visa This is a work-to-residence visa, which allows you to qualify to move on to a Talent (Accredited Employer) Resident visa after two years. (That gives you the same rights as residence gained through SMC - you aren't restricted to staying with the same employer if you don't want to.)

If by chance you meet a life partner who is a NZ national or resident, after living with that person for 12 months or more, s/he could sponsor you for partner-sponsored residence - again, that is the same residence as the other routes, with full rights. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-resident-visa