Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Essential skills - Skill level 5 low skilled experience question

Default Essential skills - Skill level 5 low skilled experience question

I have an offer of employment for a kitchen hand at a hotel. They are happy to sponsor me after a month of working there. But I have no recent work experience related to a kitchen hand role. The last kitchen job I worked was like in 2008.

The ANZSCO says that kitchen hand needs NZ Register Level 1 qualification, or compulsory secondary education (ANZSCO Skill Level 5) and possibly a short period on the job training.

Could I still apply for a visa under this occupation, or will I run into problems when providing relevant work experience evidence?

INZ are these days awarding very few Essential Skills visas for low-skilled jobs, the point being that there are plenty of unskilled NZers who can easily be given the minimal instructions necessary to let them do the work, and employers are obliged to prove that they have advertised the job thoroughly and not got any suitable applications from NZers before they offer the job to a foreigner who will need sponsoring for a visa. See here for the regulations about the Labour Market Test. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#66935.htm

That is likely to be the problem you get before anyone thinks of asking you if you are qualified.

What kind of visa are you on at the moment?

There is mention here, under Qualifications and/or Experience, of what INZ need to see to prove experience. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-visa#criteria But I'm sorry, it doesn't sound as though you have a chance of getting near that stage, unless you are working in some tiny place far from anywhere else with hardly any NZers in the population.

Im in Queenstown currently on a whv.

Right - so if your boss advertises the job, as he would have to do, there will almost certainly be plenty of NZer applicants. See here for the form the employer would have to complete, which includes details of what he would have to supply to show he has met the requirements. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/docu...es/inz1113.pdf

He was able to employ you at the moment because you have an open visa which allows you to do any job short-term. But to stay longer, you probably need to find a more highly skilled job, for which you can show you have qualifications or experience.

Well no in queenstown there are not many local people and in queenstown hospitality jobs are exempt from a skills match report. Lots of people here are sponsored on low skilled hospitality jobs because its a big demand job that they cant fill with kiwis.

could you use the month or so of employment you worked for this employer as proof of experience before applying for the visa though? Because on ANZSCO it does not specify the length of experience you need.
    Last edited by Spongela; 30th August 2018 at 08:53 AM.

It sounds as though it's worth a try, then, with that exemption from needing a skills match report. I didn't know that about Queenstown.

What it says in the ANZSCO description, in full, is this.
    NZ Register Level 1 qualification, or compulsory secondary education (ANZSCO Skill Level 5)

For some occupations a short period of on-the-job training may be required in addition to or instead of the formal qualification. In some instances no formal qualification or on-the-job training may be required.
    http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....F?opendocument
    The wording of the first sentence, second paragraph ("For some occupations..." etc.) is something that crops up in lots of places in ANZSCO - it's not written specifically about this job. As they've just said that ALL that is needed is compulsory secondary education, the part about 'instead of the formal qualification' doesn't make any sense - everybody has to have secondary education as a basis. Then it's saying some kitchen hands may need a bit of on-the-job training, but others will be able to do the job from Day 1 without that.

So I think what you have done with this employer on your WHV should be enough - if the employer says you can do the job, they are the judge.

I just queried my employer about it and they said that they submit the whole application online on my behalf. Which I am a bit confused about. I thought you had to submit experience evidence like payslips employers letters etc. But he just said the HR department do everything

Do INZ check through all your employment history on your application to confirm the validity of your work history. Or do they just look for the evidence to satisfy the occupation you are applying for?

If you were applying for a highly skilled job requiring complicated previous knowledge (e.g. captaining a ship, carrying out brain surgery), I'm sure INZ would check every detail of what you said you had done before. However, your responsibilities in the kitchen, as listed on the ANZSCO link above, are very ordinary things that any adult can be expected to have learnt at home and in the course of their general school education, so I doubt they would follow up more than your past month with your present boss. However, if you decide to give the details of your past kitchen work from 2008, there's a chance that the CO just might contact the person named - there would need to be someone there at the contact details given who would know about you and be prepared to confirm what you said you had done for that employer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast