Thread: School years

Default School years

Does anyone know how the school years run in NZ, I know they start in Feb but are they in front or behind us, if you see what I mean. Our son is now year 10 here, would he start year 10 again in Feb or be year 11?

We are worried about him missing half a years study if its the latter.

Phil

Lucy is 4 now and would normally start school here in UK Sepember 2005 Next Year.

In NZ they start school at age 6 compulsary but Lucy will be starting in Jan/Feb 2006 :eek aged 5 (as most kids start when 5).

So deduce what you will.

Thanx Ali, Im sure the information I need is in there somewhere. Im extrapolating (painfull) and deducing (slightly less painfull) that we should stop worrying and get on with something more positive.

Cheers

Phil

School years don't seem to be the exact equivalent here and the examination and qualification system is quite different from that in the UK.

School year groups are not as rigid. Given that the kids start on their fifth birthday, at the end of a school year, those who need more basics are kept back and those who have developed enough (often the older ones) move on. This means that there can be a wider range of ages in a class.

When you come here, be prepared to discuss the best class for your child to be in and then monitor progress. If things are not going well for any reason, speak to the school principal and see if a change of class would be appropriate. Unlike the UK it's not 'one size fits all'

If you are chosing a school from afar it can be very difficult. Most teachers I speak to here suggest you go for schools with a high decile rating, indicating local wealth.

Thanks Robert, thats reassuring information.
    Its nice to know that the schools will be flexible with the needs of the individulal in mind. Our kids are mostly in the tops sets of their subjects here so we've no worries about their ability its just getting them in the best place to use it.

I take it from your post that you are already in NZ. Did you come from the UK?

Regards

Phil

Default School year

Children in NZ start school on the day of their fifth birthday, whenever that is. In Australia they start at six.