Thread: Resident visa to Permanent Resident

Default Resident visa to Permanent Resident

Hi Team,

I got Resident visa and moved to New Zealand on April 2017 and I had been working here from that time. I have stayed here for the required number of days to met the Residency condition and also for the taxation. Can I apply for the Permanent Residency now or I have to wait for the end of two years? Kindly help to clarify on this.

Thanks in advance,
    Ezhil.

Quote Originally Posted by ezinir View Post
    Hi Team,

I got Resident visa and moved to New Zealand on April 2017 and I had been working here from that time. I have stayed here for the required number of days to met the Residency condition and also for the taxation. Can I apply for the Permanent Residency now or I have to wait for the end of two years? Kindly help to clarify on this.

Thanks in advance,
    Ezhil.
    not until 2 years from the date of your arrival in new Zealand as a resident

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...anent-resident (Note my added bolding.)
    If you were the principal applicant of the original residence application, you can obtain a Permanent Resident Visa if you:

have held your resident visa for at least two years, and
    have met any conditions of your Resident Visa, and
    have shown a commitment to New Zealand in one of the five ways that meet our requirements.

See the criteria to be granted a Permanent Resident Visa

Commitment to New Zealand

shall i eligible as per the 2nd rule ?

You have New Zealand tax residence status
    You are a tax resident in New Zealand if you:

have been in New Zealand as a resident for 41 days or more in each of the two 12-month portions of the 2 years before you apply for permanent residence, and
    are assessed as having tax residence status for the 2 years before you apply for permanent residence.
    If you have tax residence in another country, even if it’s one that New Zealand has a double tax agreement with, you can’t use your tax residence status there to show your commitment to New Zealand.

Eligibility to apply for Permanent Resident visa is only after holding Resident visa for 2 years or more. Rest of the conditions is applied once 2 years eligibility is met.

**This is not to be considered as advice. Please consult LIA or INZ for advice**

eznir, that list of conditions ALL have to be met. That's why it say "and" at the end of each line.