Thread: Dehumidifier ? are they a must in NZ ?

Default Dehumidifier ? are they a must in NZ ?

Just came to know about this after few visits in NZ. I saw some people use it in their homes.
    Is this Dehumidifier a must to have ? what are the difficulties if we don't own one?
    Are there great health benefits?

It seems to be a costly device.

I have a 5 yr old daughter, though not having any Respiratory disorders, just wanted to make sure everything is safe.

If at all if I have to buy one, what is the best one and that is reasonably priced?

See this old thread. https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41574 As mentioned there, I can tell you from experience that if you find yourself in a property where condensation gathers, using dehumidifiers makes a LOT of difference to the quality of life. Having dry air makes you FEEL warmer, and also makes it easier for a heat source actually to warm the place.

If you are living in a house/unit that is new or relative new you will be fine, but if you are living in a old house/unit you and your family will benefit from a dehumidifier

Thank you JandM and YessicaCBO for the replies. It helps me.

I will probably one. Seems to be costly but it seems to be really useful.

If you rent or buy a home with a good heat pump, a firebox (wood burner with some sort of metal casing to retain and generate heat) or some sort of centralised heating, that will take care of much of the humidity. But it's still a good practice to air out the home for a bit several times a week.

De-humidifiers are costly devices to run 24/hrs/day and run into the same problem as heating; if you live in an old drafty house, getting the moisture down is the same problem as trying to keep the heat in during winter months as like heat easily escapes, moisture forming overnight easily enters in the house. (dew point).

Before renting or buying a house, look for tell tale signs of moisture or humidity problems on the walls and around the windows. Most people don't bother with de-humidifiers and get by with no health issues so it depends on occupancy needs.