Thread: POST STUDY WORK VISA vs OPEN WORK VISA UNDER ESSENTIAL WORK VISA HOLDER

Default POST STUDY WORK VISA vs OPEN WORK VISA UNDER ESSENTIAL WORK VISA HOLDER

Dear admin and all,

My wife completed level 8 post graduation last July 2018 and straight away we applied for open work visa based on my essential skill work visa.INZ approved for her application and issued open work visa . After that INZ made some changes on post study work visa which can be extend up to 3 years .Now we are confused ,she should go back to her post study work visa or should stay open work visa based on my essential skill work visa ?

(please note our residency application under processing also we claim points for her NZ study so, is there any problem if she moves to post-study work visa from open work visa )

My essential skill visa valid till 2020 November, but in case the residency application not approved need to think an alternative solution, because of that I am thinking this way

Please give me your ideas

It feels as if you are overthinking this. I don't believe you need to think of an alternative visa situation UNLESS any reaction from INZ makes it look as though your present residence application is not likely to succeed. With both your present visas having a long time to run, there is no need for any hasty action. Besides that, it's an unnecessary extra expense.

If your wife gives up on the visa she has (and the grant of it shows that INZ have accepted that your partnership is genuine, which is one good step forward for your residence), applying for the post-study work visa might give a mixed message - why is this woman trying to get a visa based on her study now after all, and is it because the partnership is breaking up? In your place, I wouldn't want to make the INZ CO start asking themself awkward questions about your situation.

Thanks for the prompt reply JandM

Is there any limited period to achieve post-study work visa after completing study?

Yes, there is. See on the Criteria tab, the heading Work Visa Application, on each of these factsheets about the two different Post Study Work Visas. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-open#criteria
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...isted#criteria