Thread: Qualification to claim points for SMC

Default Qualification to claim points for SMC

Hi all,

I am currently working in NZ on a 3 year essential skills visa as a upholsterer team leader. I have looked into SMC but using the points calculator i am 10 points short, as although i have lots of experience, i don't have any qualifications to back it up.
    My question is has anybody been in my situation and gained a qualification whilst in NZ and used it towards SMC? Does the the qualification have to relate to your profession?
    Any feedback and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The points calculator isn't able to be fine-tuned accurate for each person, because it is trying to cover ALL eventualities - and it can't. Here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#6954.htm are the detailed regulations. SM1.10 has the details of all the possible reasons for claiming points, and refers you on to the exact requirements under each heading.

If you check out the ANZSCO listing for your career, you will find how many years' experience are allowed as a substitute for paper qualifications, which may help in having you considered as qualified.

Hi Jandm,

Thank you for the prompt reply! I'll have an indepth look into the link you have provided.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by rokey1974 View Post
    Hi all,

I am currently working in NZ on a 3 year essential skills visa as a upholsterer team leader. I have looked into SMC but using the points calculator i am 10 points short, as although i have lots of experience, i don't have any qualifications to back it up.
    My question is has anybody been in my situation and gained a qualification whilst in NZ and used it towards SMC? Does the the qualification have to relate to your profession?
    Any feedback and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Hi rokey1974
    My situation is same like yours..

I have claim 50 point for my NZ qualification and i have 3 year of work experience which help me to claim point for skilled job

Thankz