Thread: conditions of an essential skills visa

Default conditions of an essential skills visa

I've been on an essential skills work visa where the conditions state that I can only work in for the company, doing my current role and in Tauranga.

The company has pretty much forced me on fear of dismissal to work down south east of Opotiki, about 2 and a half hours from Tauranga. The company is still based in Tauranga and up until then I've only been working in the surrounding area, but am I in breach of my visa conditions by working down there?

Thanks

Is the company's main office in Tauranga?

Quote Originally Posted by Toledo View Post
    I've been on an essential skills work visa where the conditions state that I can only work in for the company, doing my current role and in Tauranga.

The company has pretty much forced me on fear of dismissal to work down south east of Opotiki, about 2 and a half hours from Tauranga. The company is still based in Tauranga and up until then I've only been working in the surrounding area, but am I in breach of my visa conditions by working down there?

Thanks
    What is the exact wording of your visa conditions?

Thanks, Chris - I was hoping you would take a look.

Permanent or temporary you will be working at Opotiki ?

The main office is in Tauranga as well as other sites they have running. It's a temporary thing but no-body could say really how temporary, possibly 3 months.

Wording is "The holder may only work as (job title here) in Tauranga for (company name here)

In your place, I would ask INZ for a Variation Of Conditions, to be sure you are covered. (Your employer needs to be careful not to be breaking NZ immigration law, too.)
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...c-are-changing

Quote Originally Posted by Toledo View Post
    The main office is in Tauranga as well as other sites they have running. It's a temporary thing but no-body could say really how temporary, possibly 3 months.

Wording is "The holder may only work as (job title here) in Tauranga for (company name here)
    then that's pretty clear that the visa allows you to work in Taurnaga, not work for (employer) (who is) based in Tauranga. The only exception would be if you reported for start of work each day in Tauranga, but then traveled, your place of work, according to the Health and Safety in Employment Act would still be Tauranga.