Thread: "New Zealand is the second best place to be an expat"

Default "New Zealand is the second best place to be an expat"

Expats love the Kiwi experience, culture and how welcoming we are, but we have high costs and low salaries.

Aotearoa ranked second overall in the HSBC global expat explorer study for 2018, coming in behind Singapore on the list of best destinations to live.
    Stuff article

Expat Explorer Survey

I am surprised to hear that "Singapore on the list of best destinations to live" ... I seriously do not think that this is true. There is something wrong with the survey. Singapore is best for cheaper eating out, 24X7 food, 24X7 shopping and public transport. It is best for those people who want these things all the time. May be the survey was biased on those factors rather than "raising children and family friendly, space and fresh air, quality of life, owning a car, owning a house, free education for children etc."
    Last edited by farfaraway; 15th October 2018 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by farfaraway View Post
    I am surprised to hear that "Singapore on the list of best destinations to live" ... I seriously do not think that this is true. There is something wrong with the survey. Singapore is best for cheaper eating out, 24X7 food, 24X7 shopping and public transport. It is best for those people who want these things all the time.
    If that were the only criteria then I doubt that New Zealand would have ranked #2!

It's ranking for people transferred by their employer as ex-pats, not for migrants more generally. Which often gets lost in the media reports. So things like housing costs aren't as important: the assumption is that you'd have a housing allowance based on local market conditions, at least for an initial period.

I also don't understand why are people living in the best country trying migrate to those countries that are in 2nd, 3rd positions .. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by farfaraway View Post
    I also don't understand why are people living in the best country trying migrate to those countries that are in 2nd, 3rd positions .. LOL
    Well...you can explain to us why then.

And just why should any one individual, with their own personal taste and priorities, think the same as "statistics show", anyway? It's like saying everyone has to LIKE the result of a majority vote.