Thread: Partnership visa breakup

Default Partnership visa breakup

Good Day,

My name is Cheyne, I would like to ask for some advice on the topic below as I have not been in this situation before and not sure of the outcome or possible outcome.

I am from South Africa and landed here in New Zealand in June this year on a work visa, not long after I landed on my work visa I found an Accredited Employer and have changed my work visa to a work to resident visa, Having this work to resident visa in hand I applied for my wife to come over on a partnership/Spousal work visa we have been married for 5 years and been together for 15 years, she landed in August this year on her partnership work visa which allows her to work for any without restrictions. Unfortunately 5 weeks after she landed she has asked for a divorce, she has said she wants to create a new life and a new beginning in New Zealand without me. I have notified Immigration over the phone & also dropped a letter to the dropbox at the immigration centre (Queens street) stating that we no longer live together and I no longer support her as she wants a divorce and not wanting to work on our marriage. She has told me she will be looking for a visa herself to stay and work here in New Zealand, She is a clever woman but I don't think she meets the skill shortage criteria because she only has matric qualifications from school.

Immigration said she in entitled to apply for a visa and will be given a grace period to find a job and suitable visa, Anyone know how long this period is?

Immigration also said they will send her a letter of non-compliance for breaching her visa rules, how long does this take?

Will she have to leave NZ for breaching her partnership agreement?

I'd like to ask if anyone has been down this road and what the outcome could be. Any response or help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
    Cheyne

There is nothing in the regulations to say how long INZ will allow. I think it likely that whenever INZ write to your wife, they will give her whatever information is appropriate for her case about a deadline for getting in touch with them about any suitable job she has found and applying for a new visa.

Again, there is nothing to say when she may get the non-compliance letter from INZ - that will depend on how busy the office is.

If, after whatever period of grace INZ allow her, your wife hasn't found a suitable job that will entitle her to a visa, INZ will tell her she must leave the country. No foreigner is allowed to be in NZ without a visa. This wouldn't be a punishment for breaching the partnership visa - it's just the general situation. A foreigner is in the country for a reason - visiting, because of a job, because of study, etc. - and has to be covered by the right visa for their situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
    Good Day,

My name is Cheyne, I would like to ask for some advice on the topic below as I have not been in this situation before and not sure of the outcome or possible outcome.

I am from South Africa and landed here in New Zealand in June this year on a work visa, not long after I landed on my work visa I found an Accredited Employer and have changed my work visa to a work to resident visa, Having this work to resident visa in hand I applied for my wife to come over on a partnership/Spousal work visa we have been married for 5 years and been together for 15 years, she landed in August this year on her partnership work visa which allows her to work for any without restrictions. Unfortunately 5 weeks after she landed she has asked for a divorce, she has said she wants to create a new life and a new beginning in New Zealand without me. I have notified Immigration over the phone & also dropped a letter to the dropbox at the immigration centre (Queens street) stating that we no longer live together and I no longer support her as she wants a divorce and not wanting to work on our marriage. She has told me she will be looking for a visa herself to stay and work here in New Zealand, She is a clever woman but I don't think she meets the skill shortage criteria because she only has matric qualifications from school.

Immigration said she in entitled to apply for a visa and will be given a grace period to find a job and suitable visa, Anyone know how long this period is?

Immigration also said they will send her a letter of non-compliance for breaching her visa rules, how long does this take?

Will she have to leave NZ for breaching her partnership agreement?

I'd like to ask if anyone has been down this road and what the outcome could be. Any response or help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
    Cheyne
    Now that you have advised INZ of a change in circumstances, do you need to be concerned at all with any of these issues?