Thread: Residence based on partnership - Question about tenancy agreement

Default Residence based on partnership - Question about tenancy agreement

Hello everybody,

My partner and I are planning to apply together to our residences on Feb 2019. I hold a work to residence (accredited employer) work visa, and by that time I will have 2 years working for an accredited employer here in NZ. During our time here we have always been living together in the same flat (under the same address).

We have been through a similar process in the past when we applied to her work visa based on our partnership, and we have also been reading this forum a lot since then (by the way this forum is incredibly helpful, thank you so much for all the valuable information and experiences you provide). Thanks to this we (more or less) understand the process and its requirements. For her residence application we have collected what we consider is enough evidence of our relationship: we have a joint bank account with a lot of monthly transactions (including rent payments), we have plenty of pictures together among with plane tickets, we have health insurance together with Southern Cross since Jan this year, we have letters (at least 8) mailed to our post address during 2018 with both of our names on it (the letters are also dated), we have a joint electricity and gas account (with Energy Online) and the bills have both of our names on it, we will gather letters from our neighbours and landlords stating that we have been living together in that flat for the past two years, and more minor things like projects togethers, Uber eat bills, internet domain names, next of kin, GPs bills/subscriptions, Auckland Transport bills, etc.

I am writing here because we have a very particular question regarding tenancy agreements. The tenancy agreement of our flat is not shared, the contract itself only shows my name. This happened because I arrived a couple of weeks before than she did, and during that time I settled up everything (including our accomodation). After she arrived we never changed the tenancy agreement because we, very naively, thought that we would have to pay the bond again. We just found out that it is not the case and we can easily change our tenancy agreement to a joint one. We are considering on doing that but we are worried that this may be seen "suspicious" by INZ and might require further explanations on why we haven't changed the agreement before. Furthermore, we don't have a strong reason for changing the contract besides of getting more evidence to support her application, and I think that, even without that, we already have a good amount/quality of evidence. What do you guys think? Is it a good move or not?

Thanks in advance,
    Augusto.-

I can't see why INZ would think changing your tenancy to a joint one would be suspicious, given all the other evidence that you have, although, because of that evidence, and given that INZ have already accepted that your partnership is genuine by issuing her with a partner-sponsored work visa, it isn't really essential.

Thank you very much for your reply, I was not expecting such a quick response =). Ok, I think you are probably right. Nevertheless, we will probably not doing anything about that, leaving the original agreement as is. Thanks anyway, this forum is great!

I'm glad ENZ is useful to you!