Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applying for Long Term Skills Shortage Visa - Not Quite Meeting Work Experience Requirement

Default Applying for Long Term Skills Shortage Visa - Not Quite Meeting Work Experience Requirement

Hi guys,
    I have a job offer from my employer, it's an ANZSCO level 1 job. I have previously worked for them on my WHV which only restricted me to work for them for 3 months. I then returned to my home country where I worked in my profession for 6 months. I have further relevant work experience for 9 weeks post-qualification. I hold a bsc (Hons) from an English Uni. So now I am returning to NZ and we've been trying to figure out which visa I should apply for. The profession is on the Long Term Skill Shortage List, however it requires 1 year of post qualification experience...which I literally fall short of 3 weeks. So my question is how picky would the INZ people be? Would they really reject my application just because I have worked on my profession for 11 months and 1 week, instead of the full 12 months? I have relevant work experience during my university studies, however as far as I understand only post qualification experience counts towards the requirement. Does anyone have experience with this or has been in a similar situation?
    I mean I will otherwise be applying for essential skills visa, however then my employer will be required to advertise the job for at least a few weeks before we can make a formal application...
    I'd be grateful for any help!

Rules are rules... When you put in an application to INZ, it is a legal document, and submitting it is equivalent to signing to say that everything on it is the truth. To do that if it's not the truth can be interpreted as fraud, which in turn can be a black mark for any subsequent visa application, anywhere. I know it sounds like the hammer and walnut thing, but when dealing with a foreign government, things are serious.

A thought just occurred to me - is there any chance you could find a temporary job (sickness cover or similar) for three weeks, now?

INZ will be really picky when it comes to assessing the LTSSL requirements. What is the occupation you would be applying under?

I'd be applying under Ecologist (Environmental Scientist) category. I do have a month of unpaid voluntary work experience in the field as well, but I'm not quite sure they count it towards the total time. It'd really be a shame if I didn't get it only because of those 3 weeks...and as I am travelling at the moment there's no real opportunity for me to get a short term job to fill those 3 weeks.
    I'll still probably apply for the visa and hope for a very understanding immigration official to review my application (fools hope dies last or so I hear). I've also read that sometimes if you are declined the LTSS visa you could ask to be considered for essential skills visa instead?
    Last edited by mad_wild; 10th November 2018 at 02:56 PM.

I do have a month of unpaid voluntary work experience in the field as well
    From after you qualified?

Yes, but it was with the same company in NZ that I started working for shortly after. My first month was unpaid volunteer (no goods/accommodation received in return), but I'm not sure if that somehow doesn't breach the 3 month per employer rule (which is a restriction for my country on WHV) anyways, so ideally I would like to keep that out of the application just in case it does.

Bother!

Oh no, and I've just realised that probably the post qualification job means a job that started after the issue date of the diploma. I finished my Uni course on April 2017, started a job shortly after, however my diploma is only issued on July 2017...which I guess means that the first 2-3 months of my skilled employment won't count anyways as it was prior to the issue date of my diploma...what do you guys reckon? This would completely kill the plan to apply for LTSSL.

Let's see what EGoodhue says when NZ has woken up again - she will know what the official line would be likely to be.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_wild View Post
    Oh no, and I've just realised that probably the post qualification job means a job that started after the issue date of the diploma. I finished my Uni course on April 2017, started a job shortly after, however my diploma is only issued on July 2017...which I guess means that the first 2-3 months of my skilled employment won't count anyways as it was prior to the issue date of my diploma...what do you guys reckon? This would completely kill the plan to apply for LTSSL.
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_wild View Post
    Yes, but it was with the same company in NZ that I started working for shortly after. My first month was unpaid volunteer (no goods/accommodation received in return), but I'm not sure if that somehow doesn't breach the 3 month per employer rule (which is a restriction for my country on WHV) anyways, so ideally I would like to keep that out of the application just in case it does.
    Maybe can argue that after study even though the 'certificate'. Certificate are usually issue a few month after we finished our study, but most of the time we already have the transcript for applying open work visa aka (we have finish our studies). If they really apply the certificate issue date as consideration as 'graduate or post qualification. Does that means INZ is breaking their own rules by giving us work visa prior to date of issuance ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast