Thread: SMC Advice Required

Default SMC Advice Required

Hi All,

I need some help with filing my SMC Application, Please provide your valuable advice, If anyone of you have done it by themselves, please share your experience.
    First and most important, I'm Planning to submit my SMC application myself and not using a lawyer. - What is your opinion about it?
    Second, I'm not sure how much my job description matched the ANZSCO code that my employer printed on my INZ1235, Any thoughts. (I know I have to compare the two but I find it a bit confusing)
    Third, My studies are from NZ. Do I just attach a copy of my final transcript or do I have to get it validated/assessed?
    I'm also claiming points for the experience but my first job didn't use to give out salary slips as it was a tiny company. Would that be an issue, I have the Joining letter and IRD/Bank records showing my salary being credited?

Apologies if I'm asking too much, I'm new to this forum and still trying to figure things out.

Cheers.
    Last edited by IT_GUY; 16th November 2018 at 02:26 PM.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Probably the majority of forum members who apply for residence under SMC do the paperwork themselves rather than employing an immigration lawyer or LIA. The regulations and instructions are all available on the INZ website and in the INZ operational manual, so there is no hidden problem.

About the ANZSCO code, you would need to ask your employer about the details of this - nobody here has the detailed knowledge of your job to be able to comment. (Approximately what you need to be able to do is look at the ANZSCO description, line by line, and explain in plain words what you do in your job which equates to that. For instance, if an ANZSCO line said "researching, consulting, analysing and evaluating system program needs" you would (approximately, because details will depend on individual workers and companies) need to be able to state HOW you research system program needs, both for people working within your employers' business and when interacting with clients, with WHOM you consult about this and in what way, and on WHAT you base your analysis, e.g. who sets the parameters.)

As you have NZ qualifications, you just submit them. The point of assessment of qualifications is to show how a foreign qualification fits into the NZ educational system, and what NZ qualification it is equivalent to, so obviously, that doesn't need to happen for one gained onshore.

Your financial and tax records should be enough to prove where you worked. You will need to show INZ start date, end date, qualifications needed in order to be appointed, exact details of your responsibilities at work, and how many hours a week you worked (showing that it was above the INZ's standard of 30 hours per week being considered as full-time employment), as well as your salary. If you don't have paperwork from the company giving all these details, you need to ask someone to write you a letter providing them. This could be a line manager or close colleague if, for instance, the company is no longer in business. Whoever writes needs to be contactable at the details given throughout the time your application is being processed.

Hi JandM,

Thanks a lot for the Reply and the useful Information.
    I'm certainly more informed than before and I'm one step closer to submitting the Application.
    Thanks again, I will update this thread once I submit the application and also with the outcome.

Cheers.