Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: eVisa Travel Experiences

Default eVisa Travel Experiences

We're looking for feedback about anyone's experience using the new(ish) NZ eVisa for travel to NZ...especially from the U.S.

I'm weighing the benefits of having INZ transfer my Permanent Resident Visa label to my new passport or going with the eVisa option. We've gone through all of the online info on the INZ website and understand the details and differences. The costs/savings aren't really important (to us) since it's only an issue every 10 years. Our concern is with the travel experience.

We're worried in particular about encountering a U.S. airline ticket agent that's almost certain to be unfamiliar with an "eVisa", having to present an "official letter" (that most anyone could create), along with our passports, etc. We would hate to miss a flight. (Having a PR label in our passports has always been accepted immediately.)

I found various threads that touch on the eVisa vs passport label options on the forum but couldn't find any that discuss anyone's actual travel experience.

So we're hoping to hear from folks that have used the eVisa to travel to NZ and how smoothly it went.

Thanks in advance!

It has nothing to do with the check-in agent.
    The airlines check-in system is automatically linked to INZ and will provide an "OK to board message" once the passport is swiped through the reader.

Hi Rich,

This June, I experienced a same situation in Sri Lanka. The lady was in the checkin counter did not have an idea about the eVisa document. She took nearly one hour to check it and then she went to a one of her manager to get a confirmation. It was really annoying.

Certainly any carrier flying between the US and NZ directly should have staff who know how to verify this info. They've had to do it for Australia (ETAs) for many years. But when I've been bordering a domestic connecting flight I've sometimes encountered an agent who doesn't know how to do this. Even with a blue sticker in my passport.

So checking in with NZ or UA at one of their international gateways in the US should be fine. But if you're checking in at PDX with AS or domestic UA, you should have the info to "enable" the agent to verify your ability to board.

I don't have any personal direct experience. However, I recently got my Permanent Resident Visa and was also faced with the decision of whether it was worth it to pay for the physical label. I asked in an expat group where I am a member, and anyone with any experience with eVisas said they wished they had gotten the physical label. Their reasons were varied, but there were enough of them that I felt it was worth the extra fee.

Thanks all!

I should have mentioned that we've traveled back-and-forth enough times to know what it's like with the PR Visa label in our passports. Sometimes it's fine, others it's been a little more complicated. But they always referred back to the visa.

Of course, like jawnbc mentions, if you're in a city like LAX or SFO where Air NZ has a check-in counter...you're good as gold. However checking in elsewhere with a connecting flight (with a code-share airline) has been more complicated sometimes.

The experience dnsuriya had is exactly what we want to avoid, Murphy's law and all.

Per TheNewKiwi, I'm leaning toward having INZ transfer my PR Visa label to my new passport like they've done before. The cost difference is minimal every 10 years and probalby worth it. Other's mileage may vary of course.

Thanks again!

I had trouble on the NZ side when we first arrived in February. It was probably quite new at the time. I had a printout, luckily - maybe the lady hadn't been trained well. I would personally rather have a sticker because it's so much less cumbersome. You are supposed to always keep the visa printout in your passport, but it's always in the way when going through security, falling out if you don't have a passport holder, sometimes security wants you to take the passport out of the holder, etc. etc.

What is the actual cost of a physical label, is it $110 or $130?

Also, is that cost per person, for example: a resident member has included himself and his 2 family members for a permanent resident application. So the cost will be $130 (or $110) x 3 = $390 (or $330 if it's $110 each).

Someone please clarify?

Personally, I feel the physical label is better and looks very grand inside a passport. eVisa looks ordinary. The pages in the passport is for visa labels or stamping during entry or exit and not for documents to be stapled and folded inside.
    Last edited by Famed; 22nd November 2018 at 02:34 PM.

Use this page (and the other tabs along the top) which will let you enter your details and find out the fee.

The fee will be per passport, I expect.

The physical label previously cost $110NZ, but has just recently gone up to $130NZ. Most visa fees were increased on 5 November 2018. The cost is per person.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast