Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Consent requirements for minor stepchildren

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    United States

    Default Consent requirements for minor stepchildren

    Hi everyone,

    Was wondering if anyone had experience immigrating to NZ with stepchildren, and had some insight into what kinds of specific documentation of consent from the children's biological parent might be required?

    I could have easily missed it, but I didn't see any specific documentation standards within INZ's materials regarding this.

    My situation:

    Interviewing for some jobs that could get me into NZ via the Skilled Migrant Resident Visa path, and some of these are starting to get serious, so we're starting to prepare for that process.

    I would be applying and moving with my wife and her two children. My wife holds joint custody with her ex-husband, but they really only seem him for a few weeks out of the year.

    We definitely need to get some notarized record of his consent for them to move out of the country just so that they can leave the US. We are hoping he doesn't make a fuss about this, but let's assume for the sake of argument that he doesn't and getting the consent isn't an issue.

    Would this same set of documentation suffice to include them all on my visa application and ultimately immigrate to NZ with my entire family, or does anyone know if there are specific documentation requirements and standards that would apply?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008


    This page from the INZ regulations is specifically talking about applying for residence for a dependent child separately, but the same kind of evidence is what will be required in order to include your step-children on an application for residence under SMC.

    What most people with an NZ job offer do is to get apply for a temporary work visa at the same time as residence under SMC, as the temporary visa can be processed more quickly, and will enable the person to be in NZ already working while the residence visa takes its own time in the background. For the rest of the family to accompany the worker, the partner will need a partner-sponsored temporary work visa, and each child of school age a student visa dependent on the partner's visa, and these latter ones will need this evidence of rights and consent as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts