Thread: Applying for Residence Class visa after successful Work Visa? (Medical Question)

Default Applying for Residence Class visa after successful Work Visa? (Medical Question)

Hi All!

Since we are planning on applying for the Skilled Migrant Category Residency Visa a few months after we have arrived in New Zealand on our temporary work visas (3 years) - I just want to ask, do we need to redo the medicals again from scratch since the medicals are only valid for 3 months since you've taken them?

Also, since I've had some findings on my medicals and have had to get medical reports and certificates that none of the findings are serious or cost-incurring to the medical system, would those reports and test results still be valid when I do the "new" medical for residency? Or will I need to repeat all of those tests again? It wouldn't make sense to repeat the same tests if the medical findings during assessment are the same?

I've read somewhere that medical certificates (I guess that means reports and letters from doctors) are valid for 3 years? I'm not sure.

See here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#46161.htm at A4.20 d, about re-using this medical for the future residence application. (Basically, you will be able to if it's been accepted.)

What you say about its being logical that they wouldn't ask you to redo the tests is good sense in the ordinary world, but be prepared for the fact that it MAY not hold good for an INZ MA. (And no, tests and doctors' reports are NOT "medicals" in this context.) They can reason that something CAN have changed in your physical health in the intervening time. But in your particular case, as told about on your other thread, it MAY be okay. There's no way to read the future on this one, so be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

Thanks for the reply JandM!

Okay, reading that clause that you've referenced, I'm fairly sure that a successful eMedical would hold water when we apply later next year for residency. That's a load off our minds. None of us want to go through this again - it was actually very emotionally traumatic.

Finding out that there's "abnormal" findings, tons of tests only to determine "it's 100% normal". I think the stress comes in with convincing the medical assessors that everything is fine. We conjure these delusions in our minds that they are these monsters who simply cannot wait to deny you at the drop of a hat. But my panel physician said they're usually very fair and are only concerned with actual stuff like TB, Cancer, Hep and the likes. A slightly enlarged thyroid which has no effect on my body doesn't seem like something they'd waste their time on.

I think you're right, both about their actual attitude and about the image you've been conjuring up. Sympathies, and all good wishes for getting good news soon.