Thread: Switching to talent visa

Default Switching to talent visa

Hi everyone,

I've got a question concerning the Talent visa, and I can't seem to find answers anywhere.

Currently I am under a working holiday visa that allows me to stay for a year, and work for a few months. Nevertheless, my aim is to work for an accredited company that will sponsor me, and then apply for a Talent visa. The problem is the following: one of the requisites of Talent visa is to have a job offer for at least two years. On the other hand, my current visa allows me to stay for a year, and I can't work for any company more than a few months.

How does this transition work? Do people accept a job offer for two years, even though they are allowed to work only for three months, and then they apply for a Talent visa as soon as they sign the contract? Though that option doesn't seem logical at all. What else could be done in order to start working as soon as they offer me the contract? If issuing a Talent visa takes weeks/months, I cannot think of any employer willing to wait that long for me to start working, and leave that vacancy open for that long. Any help on how this usually works would be very welcome.

Cheers

The company makes the OFFER of the full-time job that will qualify you for the talent visa (which enables you to send in your application) meanwhile employing you "temporarily" under the terms of your WHV. In effect, they employ you twice over successively for the same job. In most cases, the talent visa will come through before the end of your permitted three months as a temporary employee. There could be a hiatus while INZ finish processing when you couldn't work, but it shouldn't be VERY long, and employers understand about that.

That's very good news, thank you very much!