Thread: 2 year work visa succesfull - residency much stricter?

Default 2 year work visa succesfull - residency much stricter?

Hey everybody
    I prepared my partnership based residency application but opted for the 2 year work in the last minute.
    It has been approved now and I am planning on applying for residency once I have entered NZ.

Has someone been in the same situation - first getting a normal work visa and then getting residency soon after?
    I will be sending in the exact same information, obviously plus additional relationship proof from now on.
    I have read about the temporary visa and permanent ones being complete separate departments and the residency is a lot stricter in all terms.

Has anyone had problems with their residency after successfully getting a previous work visa?
    There is absolutely no more information I could send in from the last 12 months, as it is already included (will be, once i send it off).
    So hoping their guidelines are somewhat the same?

Also about the medical side: My results "should have" gone to a MA, from what I read. Very glad they did not and everything seemed fine.
    But also preparing myself to get stopped and questioned on the way to residency.

Very interested to hear any kind of experiences!
    Thank you

Regarding your MA results - you said "should have" gone to an MA? I presume because you had some results outside of the "normal" ranges? You're probably already aware that the medical requirements are different for a temp visa vs. residency? When you apply for residency it could take longer to process if results are outside of normal ranges, etc .

Hey,

I have been in a very similar situation. I came to NZ on a working holiday visa, found a job, switched to an Essential Skills Work Visa with a pending Skilled Migrant Resident Visa in the background. Certainly, a NZ residence application takes a lot more documentation and time. The work visa took about 4 weeks while the residence took almost 7 months from applying. When applying for both the work visa and residence, I sponsored my partner as well. As they have granted the partnership visa in the first place, having my partner on my residence application was no problem whatsoever, as INZ has already recognized our partnership as valid

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Sebastian91; 17th December 2018 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiChar2 View Post
    Regarding your MA results - you said "should have" gone to an MA? I presume because you had some results outside of the "normal" ranges? You're probably already aware that the medical requirements are different for a temp visa vs. residency? When you apply for residency it could take longer to process if results are outside of normal ranges, etc .
    Yes like you say, outside of the normal range.
    As I prepared myself for the stricter controls for residency I am not worried about the investigation that might now come from a MA for residency.
    Just simply surprised because the 2 year visa will already provide healthcare and I expected questioning. Of course it makes sence residency will be stricter as it is not temporary anymore, but got me wondering if my information provided and case was already good enough.
    Glad about how it worked out though and of course hoping for the best with my next attempt.