Thread: Resident visa Travel Expiry date - Suggestions

Default Resident visa Travel Expiry date - Suggestions

Morning guys,

Got myself in a situation here. I just logged into INZ website and found my travel expiry date for my residence visa expired on 7 May 2018. I have a trip booked/paid from 16th Oct.

Leaving the country will be no issue but coming back with a expired travel date will make me illegal (I am assuming)

Only think I can think of is to submit my Residence to Permanent Residence application along with a certified copy of my passport since now they are doing E-visa's.

My question is:
    1. If i leave the country with my application in, would i be allowed back ?
    2. Since I will submit a certified copy of my passport, do they require the original passport at all ?

Thanks very much in advance. Really stressed out at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by ravi1414 View Post
    Morning guys,

Got myself in a situation here. I just logged into INZ website and found my travel expiry date for my residence visa expired on 7 May 2018. I have a trip booked/paid from 16th Oct.

Leaving the country will be no issue but coming back with a expired travel date will make me illegal (I am assuming)

Only think I can think of is to submit my Residence to Permanent Residence application along with a certified copy of my passport since now they are doing E-visa's.

My question is:
    1. If i leave the country with my application in, would i be allowed back ?
    2. Since I will submit a certified copy of my passport, do they require the original passport at all ?

Thanks very much in advance. Really stressed out at this stage.
    if you have previously provided the passport you are applying for this visa on then you need only provide a simple copy.

A PRV application should only take 10-20 days, but if you provide a copy of your confirmed flight booking, and a note, you should have an e-PRV well in advance of your travel date.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 13th September 2018 at 12:13 PM.

You shouldn't be illegal because the Resident visa doesn't expire. You can apply for a Permanent Resident Visa now,so you won't have any worries, anyway it doesn't take too long, it will be granted before you will leave the country.

Of course, yes to everything Chris said.

If for whatever reason you DIDN'T have your PR eVisa before leaving the country, in that case you would be in trouble on attempting to re-enter, because once the travel conditions that came with residence have expired, there is no permission for you to enter NZ. Although Residence allows you to live and work in NZ for ever, that is while you are in the country, and that is why residence can lapse if you don't have permission to get back in to take advantage of your right.

Hello all.

I have a similar situation but it will happen in future Feb.

My first arrival with my resident visa was 15 Feb 2017. Hence my travel condition will expire on 15 Feb 2019.
    I have stayed in NZ after my arrival. So we can apply PR after 15 Feb 2019.
    But we need to travel for my brother's wedding and we bought the flight ticket which is 9 Mar 2019.

I am thinking should I send the PR application on 15 Feb 2019, or directly apply the variation of travel conditions earlier... because it will only have 3 weeks for the PR application process, and I am afraid our passports could not be returned before we leave on 9 Mar 2019.

I just notice that they change to have eVisa today. So I am thinking if I can send the certified copy of our passports and the PR application on 15 Feb 2019.

Thanks for any suggestion or advice!

It is nice that you have landed finally. I have similar situation before.

For PR application, apply it on 16 FEB 2019 with your Ticket together. They could given you back the passport about a Week.